Sunday, June 25, 2006

Tribulations of Replacing an Alternator

Mine? Oh what can I say, Tom did something to his back and collapsed in the living room after taking the alternator off his car, my goddaughter called to say my best friend of 27 years died in her sleep (my tribute to her can be read below), and Scamp called to say they just left the emergency room. Honey had some chest problems, not stroke related though, but after everything else yesterday, I have completely forgotten what he said other than it was not life threatening. I told him if he didn’t take her to the Tastes of Hawaii anyway, he would be experiencing a some heavy hurt.

I was hoping today would be better, but it didn’t start out that way. The kids came over cranky. Princess had a sleepover last night where she and her friend stayed up most of the night. Indiana is always cranky when he gets up. Still we had to go get the relay for Pan’s car that we ordered yesterday. We made a stop by K-Mart to check out the prices of youth beds. Guess I will be buying one on Tuesday when I don’t have two children and an injured husband along.

On to the auto parts store to get the relay, stop at the grocers on the way back to pick up some rib eyes and a filet for dinner along with some kalamata olives that Princess can pit (I have already pitted ones but she wants to use the pitter, what can I say). All this time we are trying to get Indiana awake because it is nearly 3:30 p.m. He falls asleep as we pull in the driveway. While I was not happy about it, I realized that if I was going to replace the alternator I would have to do it as he is sleeping.

You heard right, I had to replace the alternator. Though I will be the first to admit that Pan helped a great deal. He did everything he could without straining his back any more (which amounted to a great deal). Then we got the relay put in and he started the truck. Yay, it started.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Congratulations Tink. This is a major achievement. One for the CV.

loonyhiker said...

I am so impressed that you can change an alternator! Even if my hubby helped me, there is no way!