Monday, June 26, 2006

Tribulations of Beauregard the Cat

I had a cat one time, actually I had lots but this is about a particular cat. It was a stray. Ex and I had gone boating on a river one day and as the day was hot we left the car windows down while we were gone. This turned out to be the shortest boat-ride in history as we sprung a leak shortly after leaving the dock.

We headed back to the dock and to the car for our long drive back home. We are talking about a 3 or 4-hour drive here. When we were more than half way this huge, beautiful cat crawls out from under the seat. There is no way I’m going to turn back so we adopted her and the kids named her Beauregard. To this day I have no idea where they came up with that name.

Anyway, as I said she was huge, even the neighborhood pit bull was terrified of her. Yet she still had the sweetest temperament, she just wasn’t afraid of anything. Periodically she would wander off for a day or two and then she would return.

To reiterate, she was a sweet tempered feline and would lie on the front porch sunning just about every day. One spring though, some blue jays built a nest in our rafters. Bad move if you ask me. Beauregard wasn’t interested in their hatchlings, but it still didn’t stop mama and papa bird from dive-bombing her every time they got a chance. I still remember sitting in the yard or looking out the window watching these birds dive down and peck at her. She would take it for so long then up would come the paw and she would knock them out of the air. She would look at them for a moment then lay her head back down and it would start all over again.

I sure wish I knew what happened to old Beauregard. She chose to take her walkabout when we were moving. We looked everywhere for her but never did find her. I hope that when she returned the family that was there either took her in or found a good family for her.

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

With a name like Beauregard, I'm sure she was well taken care of! Since she chose you for her family, I'm sure she adapted to a new family. What a nice story!

Glynis said...

Wonderful story about what sounds like a wonderful pet!