Saturday, June 17, 2006

Schools and Tribulations Part II

When Scamp was in middle school, we had a problem with him skipping school. I spent hours up at the counselor’s office trying to resolve this problem. One of the solutions the school came up with was that I was to drop him off at school every morning at the office and sign him in. If he actually made it to a class he would stay, it was only in the morning that he would leave. But once I signed him in, I had to leave for work. And after making this suggestion, the school decided it wasn't their responsibility.

Although we can laugh now about Pan chasing a bunch of kids through the woods in his three-piece suit, he did not think it was especially amusing then. At least the school would call when Scamp didn’t turn up for class. I recall one account of Pan’s where he had to jump a fence and there was a gentleman watering his lawn, when Pan asked if he had seen a bunch of kids run by. The man wanted to know if he was the truant officer. He probably should have been, he took more kids back to school while he was chasing the Scamp. BTW Scamp had an IQ test in elementary school and he scored 118 out of a possible 120.

There have also been occasions when I was lied to by the high school. This is a fact, as I checked out what they were telling me. While for the most part, I was willing to take the school’s word for what they were saying about Scamp, at some point I had to check out his side. And what I found out surprised and disappointed me. I do not lie and do not appreciate being lied to, especially by someone who has some control over my child’s life.

This past January we took Princess Z to Orlando. Before we left I had the teacher give Princess Z all the work she would miss while we were gone and every afternoon we took a couple of hours to go over her schoolwork and complete the worksheets. When we got back the teacher said it was the wrong work; gave her another weeks worth and didn't even give her credit for what she had done.

I know is sounds like it’s all one sided here, but believe me I have always respected teachers and educators. This town just seems to have more than its share of teachers who don’t have the exuberance to be a teacher. These teachers appear to be there to write on the chalkboard and read, those who are only looking out for their own interest instead of their charges. I have always worked with the schools my kids attended, as I believe a parent should be involved. Private school was not an option either. We could not afford it and the teachers at the private schools here were the same. Or maybe I was just privileged to have outstanding teachers who took an interest in my education and me.

So what could the teacher or school done? I really don’t know, but it would have helped if they worked with me instead of against me. I was willing to support them; they should have been willing to support me.

For all the teachers out there who take an interest in their students (and that’s the majority) I applaud you. You are doing something that I neither have the aptitude or patience to do. You are special and I wish I could be more like you.

2 comments:

Rave said...

I can tell you that not all teachers are good stock. Not all teachers are bad.
But I can tell you that they all stick together. And that's a problem.

Have you ever sat in the teachers lounge at lunchtime? Try it sometime. You'll be amazed at what you hear.

I fight constantly with the school. Not because I am a biatch, but because I know the rules, and I will not let them brow-beat me in capitulation because they want something a certain way.

And it's hard to 'blame' anyone. Teachers are good stock. Really they are. But when you think about it, they have all been taught by the same people, who have been taught by the same people. It's a catch-22 and the children lose.

One of my favorite sayings, "If there's a problem, 90% of the time it's the process, not the person."
Fix the process, and you fix the problem and everyone's happy.

Gabby Faye said...

You are right and my first reaction is to jump to the defense of all teachers. That just isn't fair, either. When I was in Middle School (the last 8 years of my carreer) our "team" was three of us, and I know we all cared deeply about our 150 students. The other team was made up of two women who would not cooperate with anything we wanted to do that took ANY extra effort. They were sarcastic and not at all nice talking about their students.

The result was that so many parents requested our team for their children that the other two retired early. They got the students whose parents didn't care, and we got the students with involved parents. Never fear! There IS retribution!