Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Tribulations of a Gunny Sergeant

Any Marines out there will be able to relate to this story I think. Scamp was going to graduate from boot camp. I don’t think any of his friends thought he would make it through, but he did and quite ably. One of the things you are asked (I would imagine in any branch) is if a member of the armed forces in your family will be attending. Scamp advised his gunny sergeant that his uncle, who is a retired Marine Lt. Col., would be attending along with Poppa who is was a retired Air Force Senior Master Sergeant, and then, of course, Pan and I. Scamp told me later that he wasn’t sure his gunny believed him or not about the Lt. Col.

Any way we arrive on the afternoon of Family Night and get settled into our room. NavyNuke was attending A school in Charlotte so drove down for the evening as well. He wasn’t able to stay for the graduation as he had classes that day. You can check out a picture of the Marine and Sailor together in my May Archives under Memorial Day post. Other than NavyNuke the rest of us were in civvies.

The shock came the next day as we headed into the gate. My BIL, that we will call Bear from here on out, and dad were in dad’s car ahead of Pan and I. Now dad’s car had an NCO sticker on it so can you just imagine the poor little guard at the gate when he realized a Lt. Col. was driving? And this was just the start. Once we got to the parade grounds we had to locate the bleachers for Scamp’s squad. Which we found relatively quickly as it was at the very end. But in our pursuit of them, Bear was trying to be routed to the center bleachers (btw they were covered, lol), as he was the highest-ranking officer on the base. He is a down to earth kind of guy and really wanted us to be where we could see Scamp the best (and get the best pictures). Still this is not the end of it.

After the demonstrations, we got to go onto the parade grounds to meet our Marines. The Gunny Sergeants, as expected, were trying to meet all the parents, spouses, girl/boyfriends of their charges. Scamp’s gunny was speaking with someone, so we all waited respectfully to talk to him. I wish I could convey the surprise on the Gunny’s face when he turned and was face to face with a Lt. Col. Everyone had a good laugh over it and we got pictures of the Gunny with Bear and Scamp. Now I just have to get them scanned in.

God Bless our Gunny Sergeants everywhere.

4 comments:

Gabby Faye said...

Ok, I am not part of a military family but I enjoyed the story just as much. When I was in college, my friend across the street was the daughter of the top-ranking medical officer of a nearby base. We would go swimming at the pool and never could figure out why none of the guys gave us a tumble. My parents explained to me that we were SO out of bounds!

ArtcTrish said...

Semper Fi- do or die, right?
Great story! My dh was front line in the Gulf War and a Sgt. when he was discharged.TFS!

Judyy said...

Thanks for sharing that great story, Tink! Oh, wait a minute--Tink and Pan--I get it! *slaps forehead*
The Chief and I were in the navy, so I know just what you're talking about. Sounds like both of your sons are doing great!

Meg said...

I loved your story!! My FIL is a retired Lt. Col from the Air Force, so any time he shows up in uniform at my dh's functions (Army Staff Sergeant), there is quite a stir! Thanks for sharing!