Saturday, June 24, 2006

Naval A School Tribulations

Scamp had his story and there is several surrounding NavyNuke as well. I believe they are shorter though. Mom, Dad, Pan and I all drove up to Charlotte for Nuke’s graduation from A School. This is from the guy who told everyone he was going to be a cook.

Again we head out to the parade grounds where they had a stage set up for the graduates to receive the Navy’s version of a diploma. As we were sitting there, about 6 rows from the front, with a Captain several rows ahead of us, dad was getting pretty antsy. He tends to do that when he is expecting something and he was sincerely hoping his BIL was going to make it to the graduation.

Strike One: No longer able to contain his anticipation he stopped a young ensign going by and asked him if Admiral BIL had arrived (yep my uncle is a retired Rear Admiral). The ensign went white with fear and ran to get his Captain. The Captain came back nearly as white as his uniform stating that he did not have notice of an Admiral arriving and was wanting to move us to the front immediately. Pan and I were desperately trying to hold dad back while mom explained, that yes, we were expecting Admiral BIL, but that he would be coming in civvies and would not be announcing himself as an Admiral. That there was no need to displace the Captain as we were not sure he was going to be able to make it and that he would have not problems sitting behind a Captain anyway.

Okay this is going to be longer than I had thought. On to Strike Two. The graduates started coming through. We are looking for Nuke anxiously and he is nowhere insight. An Admiral gets up on the stage to make a speech that includes what has been going on at the A School. One of the things he mentions is the number of marriages that have occurred during the last 6 months. Pan had been teasing me about Nuke getting married and I heard this I put a big bruise on his arm.

Strike Three. Still no sign of Nuke. Someone makes the comment that maybe he wasn’t going to graduate, but we all agree that he would have told us about that. The graduates are called up to receive their commendations, and then at the end a group of about six sailors are called up. One of them is Nuke. He had been named the Number One Electrician’s Mate Honor Graduate.

Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us
Awards, Letters and Commendations
On being named Number One Electrician’s
Mate Honor Graduate

6 comments:

loonyhiker said...

Darn! If I knew you were going by my house, I would have waved! (I live in Greenville!) I know you were extremely proud of Nuke! By the way, did BIL show up?

Mrs_Who said...

Kudos to your son!

Unknown said...

No he didn't show up. He was a pilot for a major airline at the time and couldn't find another pilot to take his place that day.

Gabby Faye said...

Yes, I know "Nuke" accomplished this honor, but we all know that the parents should take a bow, too. Job well done, Mom and Dad.

Anonymous said...

A big BZ to Nuke. That's a TOUGH mountain to climb :-)

Unknown said...

I'll let him know what you said Harv (although I hear tell he's not much younger than you).