Friday, June 02, 2006

School Tribulatioins

Blog Prompt: If you could go back to school (and time, money, other commitments are not an issue), what would you study and why?

Astronomy. When I started college that is what I majored in. But then I “found” love and got married before finishing.

I love astronomy. When I was 10 my folks took me to Macy’s in San Francisco and said that I could pick out my birthday present. I chose a telescope. They had two; one was small and sat on a table; the other, vastly more expensive, had all the bells and whistles, different magnification lens, a sun lens, and a tripod that held everything. It was a refractor telescope, which in my humble opinion is the next best thing to a compound telescope. I chose the “other” even though I had to wait nearly a week to get it.

It as worth the wait, just to see the moon in all its glory. To find Betelgeuse, the northern star, the rings around Saturn and the moons of Jupiter.

I still have the telescope but the lens has cracked so it is now longer useful. I keep it as a reminder of a distant dream, that maybe I will have time to make come true after all.

6 comments:

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

What an interesting thing to study. Now I want to go find my old telescope & see what I can still identify in the night sky.

Meg said...

What a great post! Very inspiring. I hope you do get a chance to at least take another class or two. Anyone with that strong an interest ought to feed it. Thanks for sharing!

ArtcTrish said...

Wow! I bet you could find a gazzilion websites to help you learn more! Very cool!

heather said...

What an exciting thing to study. You must go do more!!!

loonyhiker said...

I took astronomy in college and barely passed but this guy must have thought we were geniuses because he talked way over our heads. He must have curved our grades though because in my estimation, I had a 30 something average and I passed the class! I still can't name the constellations.

Glynis said...

That was my dream as a child too. I'm still waiting for my telescope! LOL