Sunday, June 18, 2006

A Tribulation for Mrs. Who

I love reading what Mrs. Who writes at the House of Zathras. We have so much in common although I am sure I am years older than she is.

But still we have a lot in common: A Wrinkle in Time, Babylon 5 and apparently cult classics.

Browsing her blog, I noticed that she has a child named Eraserhead. And wouldn’t you know, I just bought the dvd, which then set my mind in motion about cult classics.

First, how do they define what a cult classic is? I know that Rocky Horror Show, Naked Lunch, Brazil, Videodrome and Eraserhead are cult classics. But what exactly is the defining characteristic? Other than they are all extremely strange. Actually having read the definition of cult classic (at Wikipedia) I have determined that the aforementioned movies are probably best described at underground films as they are more experimental and cult. Though I have my misgivings about Rocky Horror anymore. I think it has gotten to popular to be considered a true cult or underground film any longer.

My own nominations would include Buckaroo Bonzai, Biggles Adventure in Time, 1984 and Sixth Sense. So what about you? Any cult classic/underground films in your repertoire? What do you enjoy about them and why do you consider them a cult classic?

3 comments:

Mrs_Who said...

Tink, just so you know, my son's nickname is 'Eraserhead' because he has this thick, curly hair that he hates getting cut or styled...similar to what the lead character's hair looks like....AACCK!! My son is NOTHING like anything in the movie...(anyone who has seen the movie knows why I would be freaked out about that). I didn't want you thinking we were like really weird!!! (Just a little weird.)

We watched Buckaroo Bonzai not that long ago...and Rocky Horror Picture Show...except that the kids died of embarassment when I did the 'time warp' for them!!

Mrs_Who said...

My husband wanted me to say that Repo Man and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes should be a cult classics, too. (He and his friends dressed as the Killer Tomatoes one Halloween...if I ever find that picture, I'll have to post it....absolutely hilarious!)

Anonymous said...

Heavy Metal

Army of Darkness

I think the key test is: is it being shown at midnight at some movie theater? :-)