Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Scents and Tribulations

Blog Prompt: So, on the first day of summer, write about one of the five senses (related to your summer experience):

The smells of summer


Living in NW Florida, we don’t really have seasons, per say, but still when I walk out and the breeze is blowing from the south, the smell of the fresh salt water invokes a feeling of summer. It reminds me of being on the boat, anchored at Crab Island and reading. Or anchoring overnight at the bayou and having a steak dinner and glass of wine, then blueberry pancakes and juice for breakfast all cooked by Pan.

The sights of summer
The sounds of summer


Seeing and hearing the children all outside playing tag or jumping in the kiddy pools also remind me that summer is here. School is out and it is time to play. Although I think we actually “played” more when I was a child then they do now. Seems everyone is either in little league, soccer, karate, ballet or some other activity which takes them away from the childish games I remember so well; like hide and seek until after dark.

The touch of summer

Nothing can evoke the memory of summer, like wiggling your toes in the purest, whitest sand in the world and feeling the lap of the gentle waves upon your feet as you traverse the beach. Building a sand castle at the edge of the water then watch as the water rushes up to take the castle down. Or how about lying in the sand and having someone bury you.

The tastes of summer

And what would summer be without the delicious taste of watermelon. Cut into slices and sprinkled with a little salt to bring out the juicy sweetness. Having the juice run down your cheeks and chin because you tried to put more in your mouth than would fit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i never cared for watermellon the fruit. but at friendly's restaurant, we'd get water mellon the ice cream roll thing. it was a slice of "water mellon" the rind was lime and lemon sherbert, with watermellon sherbert for the pink part, complete with chocolate chip seeds.

sounds disgusting now.

Glynis said...

I love your perfect descriptions of watermelon and summer sand...great post!

loonyhiker said...

I like the feel of sand but I hate the feel of HOT sand in the hottest part of the day! Great list!

Mrs_Who said...

You have described my childhood perfectly, down to the salt on the watermelon...(a true down-South tradition!)

faery-wings said...

I never had salt on watermelon, I think I need to try that.

Your descriptions really brough the summer to life.