Monday, June 12, 2006

Trash & Apple Tribulations

Blog Prompt: How did you get started using computers? When did you first get "online". Do you predate the Internet being available to the public or was it always here for you?

They definitely were not always here for me, lol. I remember the first computer I used but not the name. It took up the entire wall in one of my high school classrooms. It was used strictly for research and was internetted with a local college. 0h I don’t think they called it internetting then, but I don’t recall all the terminology.

After that I didn’t really have any contact with a computer until vw started teaching basic to adults in evening classes. Then I would have to go by mom’s house to practice on bug’s trash 80.

When I started dating Pan and the kids and I would spend the weekend at his house, we would stay up all night playing computer games on his Apple IIe. Did anyone else play them? The games that would give you a story and you had to type in your responses? No graphics at all. I loved those and we would make up the most outrageous things as a response. I almost miss them. We even bought our children an Apple IIe so they would have one of their own. Our next computer was an Apple IIgs.

We would have stayed with Apple if they had continued to support the II’s but instead they chose to spend all of their support on the Mac. We still have to the IIe's and the gs packed away. I know a lot of people who use Macs and I use one at work. Still I prefer the pc at this point. This is not a pc versus mac prompt though is it?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only game I liked on the Apple IIe was Taipan.

Which is available for the PC here:

http://www.digitallabs.net/taipan/index.htm

Anonymous said...

My first computer was a magnovox something or other . . .

loonyhiker said...

I had a bunch of shareware stuff for apple 2e. I miss those games. The first reality game I tried was Myst.

Glynis said...

Great story...isn't it interesting how far we've all come. And it makes you wonder where we'll be in 10 years!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I loved the text based games. I remember drawing maps as I moved from room to room so I could remember where I was.

Karen said...

And what a magnificent machine the Apple IIe was!!!!

Bonnie said...

I Remember those...I forgot to add in my blog that my brother who was a computer boff used to write his own programmes for games which we played. So i did use computers in the 80's! Whew!

Bonnie said...

Oh and thanks for adding me to your links! Yay! It made me smile! I am on someones link list!! yipee!

Kristen said...

I had a Sherlock Holmes text game for my IIe - drove me wild! I could not get *anywhere*! Finally gave up altogether. I had Myst for my Mac, that worked so much better for me.

heather said...

Our first computer was an Apple Mac, but everything seemed to go PC so we turned ..!

Gabby Faye said...

We went from Ataris to Apples (II and IIe) at school and I went from Atari to PC at home so I had a foot in each world.