Thursday, June 08, 2006

No Tribulations for School

Blog Prompt: "Who was your favorite or most influential teacher?"

Looking back I wonder why I never wanted to be a teacher. I loved school and learning.

There are a number of teachers who made more than a passing impression on me. Mrs. Sears, science; Mr. Behrens, science; Mrs. Allen, English and Latin, and so many others. Many of whom I kept in contact with until my late 20’s. Which was no mean feat since I went to high school in Guam and Illinois then moved to Florida.

I guess Mrs. Sears and Mr. Behrens stand out because while I was in their classes we built a green house on the room of the school cafeteria. We got to it by climbing out the science storeroom window. I remember raising fruit flies to use in genetic testing.

In English, Mrs. Allen taught us how the English in Shakespeare’s day actually talked. It was very fast and hard to understand, almost like a foreign language. I also had her for 3 years of Latin. I loved learning Latin and was disappointed to find out it was not a class offered in very many colleges. I can still sing Jingle Bells in Latin, LOL.

Again, looking back, as much as I loved school and learning, it is strange that it was not a profession I had chosen for my self. I had my sites set on the stars.

3 comments:

Glynis said...

Isn't it interesting realizing which projects that you did in school are the ones you remember?

Anonymous said...

i keep stealing your writing prompts. this one set me off on a long ramble.

heather said...

Sounds like you had some great teachers there and interesting projects!!