Thursday, June 15, 2006

Tribulations not taken for granted

From Grandmother Bou which I heard about from Oddybobo:

What is it you have around you, in your state or your area of the country, that you have done, that you do or see frequently, that some may take for granted, that you feel certain that there are people in America who will NEVER ever experience?

Being an AF brat, I have traveled across the U.S. extensively. Most memorable sites have been the Petrified Forest, the Grand Canyon and the Redwood Forest. The beaches off Cape Cod, Massachusetts are beautifully stark. I loved walking on the jetties, feeling the cold ocean spray, and making a pet of my parents lobster dinner.

Seeing Lake Tahoe was enough to take your breath away. San Francisco lit up my eyes. Sacramento, San Diego, Anaheim, all held some form of fascination. If only I could see the rolling waves of corn and wheat in Nebraska and Illinois again. I leaned to drive a standard in a cornfield in Illinois.

I have only been off the continent twice. The first time was when dad was stationed in Guam. Guam is a teenager’s heaven. The black sand beaches for horse back riding, a glass bottom boat, and a century plant that actually bloomed while I was there. While stationed in Guam we took a trip to Hong Kong. It is a bustling, thriving city so full of live. I loved the Tiger Balm Gardens, the ride up to Victoria Peak and overlooking the river, which separated Hong Kong from China. We were allowed to visit the walled city. At the time we went there were only older folks living there as all of the young had gone into the city. The rules were different for the walled city and these folks were sitting around smoking their opium pipes. And no, we didn’t even get a whiff.

The second time was when Bug had me fly to Germany and spend a week with her. I loved Germany. The people, the beer, the food, the beer, the cities, the beer, the castles, the beer. Yes, I brought beer back with me. But I was the only one who would drink it. To dark for everyone else I believe.

Ocean and beaches surround Florida and each has its own appeal. In NW Florida we have white sand beaches. Very beautiful white sand beaches. That is where I live now. Five miles to the south are the beautiful beaches; one mile and I am at a secluded bayou; six miles brings us to a long lost island (and I mean lost, it was taken out by a hurricane eons ago) where we take the boat and anchor for the day. Just down the street a bit is a genuine German pub. We live in an area that was built up for German tourists. We can grill out steaks or burgers on the boat and watch the sun go down or have a dock party with our surrounding neighbors. Strange as it may seem, I know my boat neighbors better than my house neighbors. Here are some pictures for you to peruse.

Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us
White sand beach

Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us
Storm on beach (not a hurricane)

Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us
Crab Island

Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us
German Pub (dark beer in corner is mine)

Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us
Sunset from the boat

And what is it you’ve never experienced, that you know others in America do, that you would like to do one day?

I would love to see more of Germany. My grandfather, his parents and siblings emigrated from there around the 1920’s or so. I would love to see where he was born and grew up. I would like to also see Ireland and Scotland. My MIL is Irish (100%) and my FIL is half Scot. Wonder what that makes Pan? But I believe dad is part Scot too. I know that he is part Swede as his dear darling grandmother Lily emigrated from there. I would also like to make it back to my birthplace; Rapid City, SD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seconding Hong Kong as a VERY cool city.

Been there twice, courtesy of the US Navy