Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Tribulations of the Illness Prone

Blog Prompt: Describe the most serious illness or accident that you have had.
Not accident prone? Someone else's illness/accident that significantly affected your life.


I am sure I have had my share of illnesses or accidents (the most vivid being a boat and pier crushing my little finger), but nothing that approaches the serious stage (yet). And you already know about Scamp and his reaction to his asthma medicine, which only leaves NavyNuke and Bombshell.

Other than the normal course of colds, flues and idonwannas, Bombshell is probably as healthy as they come.

So that leaves NavyNuke, at about 9, who really did scare the tar out of me the day I found him curled in a fetal position. He would scream everytime you tried to straighten him out. But there seemed to be nothing else wrong.

I took him to my mother's to watch that day, as I had jury duty. While we were going through the questioning phase, a clerk came and got me. My mother had called, Nuke was getting worse. I raced home, literally. Called his doctor then grabbed him up and headed for the hospital.

Needless to say, I was terrified. I had no idea what was wrong with my little boy. He was in excruciating pain and there was nothing I could do to alleviate it. His doctor met me at the hospital and started running tests immediately. He spent two weeks in the hospital and the outcome? He had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.

He was one of the lucky ones, he outgrew it. Nowadays he just has my problem, lol. How to lose weight.

5 comments:

Glynis said...

Oh my goodness...what a scary moment for a mommy. I'm so glad it was something that he outgrew!

Tiffani said...

Howscary that must have been. To see your child in excruciating pain and not knowing what is wrong.

loonyhiker said...

What a scare! When my kids were little, I would almost pass out if they were hurt or in pain. My hubby had to deal with it all. I would rather it be me than them.

faery-wings said...

Kids sure put us through the ringer, don't they. So glad that he outgrew the RA.

Bonnie said...

That is strange Tink, I have never heard of kids having that! Thank goodness he outgrew it!