Friday, August 25, 2006

Pluto's Tribulations at an End?

Since its discovery in 1930, Pluto has been classified as a planet (nineplanets). It has a satellite, Charon, plus two additional smaller satellites. I grew up with Pluto being a planet and cannot imagine thinking of it in any other light. Now my grandchildren may not know the thrill of trying to locate this smallest of planets in a telescope. Sure they can still look but it just won't be the same. But then again they may still have include it in their list of planets.

"I'm embarassed for astornomy," said Alan Stern, leader of NASA's New Horizon's mission to Pluto and a scientist at the Southwest Research Institute. "Less than 5 percent of the world's astronomers voted." -Space.com

I think I have to agree with Mr. Stern. Let's get a more objective vote before we start changing the science books.

2 comments:

Gabby Faye said...

Having a loose connection to NASA I am concerned about this. I have been to Nationas Science FOundation Headquarters and met a lot of the astronomers. It just amazes me that they have done this. 5% you say? Sounds like a ploy to make names for themselves. I especially met the discoverer of Pluto and I hate seeing his discovery downgraded. He is not alive now to defend the discovery but his ashes are on the way in a space explorer. This is a sad situation for those serious astronomers, and those of us who admire them.

Mrs_Who said...

Geez...since it's not a planet anymore, will we strip it of its name? Just give it a number instead? Damn scientists. They need to get a life. Send them to Hugh Hefner's mansion for a week...then they won't care, having seen other 'heavenly bodies'.