Saturday, August 05, 2006

Tribulations of being a SAHM

Blog Prompt: What do you dislike the most about being a housewife(SAHM)or housework in general? What are the best things about this challenging job? (Motherhood and/or housework)

I was both. Well at least a stay at home mom. I didn't start working, in the "real" world capacity until my daughter was in kindergarten. I will probably piss some off but if you really want to make an impact on your kids you need to be with them until they are at least 3 years old and you need to breast-feed.

In my humble opinion, once they start school it is too late. I know there are a lot of mothers out there who have no choice and those I have met have played both mother, father and social worker to their children and deserve all the praise they can get. But I have also met others who think it is the schools who should be teaching their children not only Reading, Writing and Arithmatic but all the niceties of socialization as well. All those parents I hope rot in .... well you get my drift.

Now onto ... what was the second? House something? Something work? House work? Arg!!! Shouldn't that be deemed a 4-letter word even though it is a total of 9? I HATE housework. I need a maid. But before I can hire one I need to clean house.

5 comments:

Mrs_Who said...

I am a teacher who wants to thank all you SAHMs (and dads, too). YOU are your child's first teacher, and there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that can replace those first important five years. What is wrong with today's schools? It's not the teachers (although there are some bad ones out there). It's that there's too few SAHMs. When a child comes to school, we teachers CAN'T 'catch him up' for five years of lack of good parenting. Without a doubt, teachers can easily tell the students who had a 'mom' at home, and those who were 'dumped' at daycare. Those same daycare parents see school as 'free babysitting', not the learning experience it should be. And yes, I know some moms have to work (I've been a single parent, too). But you still take the time to 'be' with your kid, and that shows in the classroom, too.

And I blame the women's lib movement for the sorry state of America today. It has severely hampered a woman's gift of being the most beautiful thing in the world - a mother. And it is showing in our society today with a whole host of ills.

(Sorry for the rant, Tink. I'll stop now. But, a big THANK YOU to all you wonderful SAHMs out there! :P )

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading the "rant" and can't agree more.

faery-wings said...

Add me into the group of (former) PreK teacher who hated that she was a parent role model to most of these kids more than their own parents. I am not saying working parents don't love their kids- but with many of them, the quantity of stuff they have doesn't make up for quality of time lost.

debra said...

well said Faery-wings... funny how we can work for all those "things" like suv's, and designer clothes, etc. which do nothing but make us have to work harder and longer hours away from the family we're supposedly "working for"... I love being a sahm :)

heather said...

I have worked either part-time or not at all for the last 7 years... I feel lucky 1. that financially I was able to do that and 2. that being a mum has fulfilled me so much and I have so enjoyed my time at home.. I know it's not for everyone and some cannot stand being home with their kids, but not me!! (well most days anyway!)