Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Phrases and tribulations

Blog Prompt: Give us an example of your voice. What phrases do you say a lot? Do you use them in your writing as much as you do vocally or do you "clean up" your writing?
In an effort to answer this one honestly I made some calls. First to my mother who said she could not recall any expressions or phrases that I used a lot but would call or email if she did remember any. Next was to my sister, Bug, who did say I used Turdbutt to describe Indiana all the time. I had to explain that was a word and not a phrase. She swears there are some that I use quite frequently although she could not recall what they were. She, too, will call if she remembers them.

I think it is save to say though, that I write as if I were talking and do not feel the need to “clean up” my writing, other than spelling, punctuation and general typographical errors, like leaving a word out. I will update this post, should I get a call from mom or Bug.

UPDATE: Okay just got a call from mom and it appears that there are, at least, somw phrases I use frequently:

1. Why does he get a wild hair up his butt?
2. You've got another think coming. (yes that is what I say, not thing)
3. What part of NO do you not understand?

Would I use any of this in writing or scrapbooking? Possibly if it was appropriate to what I was writing or scrapbooking about.

4 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I loved the word Turdbutt and will plan on using that in the future! Keep those great words coming!

Glynis said...

Love those phrases! And if I'm correct it is 'think' not 'thing' isn't it?

faery-wings said...

turdbutt! LOLOL!!!

Webfrau said...

I agree with glynisb - it should be "think". As in "If you think I'm going to let you stay out until that time, you've got another think coming". Can you tell that phrase was common in our house.