Tuesday, July 04, 2006

No Tribulations about Independence

Blog Prompt: "Independence". What does it mean to you? Your family? Your life? Your future?

Independence. What a wonderful word. "The quality of being independent," as set forth in Merriam-Webster's dictionary.

independent
Pronunciation: "in-de-'pen-dent
Function: adjective
1 : not dependent: as a (1) : not subject to control by others : SELF-GOVERNING (2) : not affiliated with a larger controlling unit b (1) : not requiring or relying on something else : not contingent (2) : not looking to others for one's opinions or for guidance in conduct (3) : not bound by or committed to a political party.

Also from Merriam-Webster's Dictionary.


I like that "self-governing." But with self-governing comes self-restraint. And sometimes I wonder how many of us have self-restraint. But there is a difference between being independent and being free. And is it really freedom we are talking about here? I think so.

So what does independence/freedom mean to me? It means a choice. A choice of whom to vote for as president; a choice as to service in the military; a choice in the profession I want; a choice as to which store to shop at; a choice in how I raise my children.

What does it mean to my children? Less than the choices I had, I'm afraid. The government has involved itself too much in how children are raised while not really helping those who are in dire need of their help.

Still I think we live in a great country and I cherish the rights and freedoms I have. God bless America.

And while we are thinking about our independence take a moment to check out My Opinions & Rants.

4 comments:

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I agree with independance equaling choice. Nicely written

loonyhiker said...

It's amazing how much we think alike! I also thought independence had to do with freedom and choice!

Glynis said...

Very thought-provoking, Tink and thanks for the link at the end...great post!

Karen said...

Totally agree Tink. Independence is about freedom of choice. And with that comes responsibility. Bring it on!