Thursday, July 06, 2006

Fairy Tale Tribulations

Blog Prompt: Choose a character. What was your favorite fairy tale as a child, and which character did you most identify with?

I never really did fairy tales. Have you ever read the original Grimm’s Brothers Fairy Tales? Most gruesome.

Furthermore, by the time I was ten I had already read “Gone with the Wind” and “The Tontine.” Fairy tales really didn’t compete with them. But I was really big into ancient history and mythology And I most identified myself with Athena.

I liked to think that I was wise, cunning. What I really wanted though was to have her gray eyes and her owl. Since then I have outgrown the need for an owl and got the gray eyes in the form of a most beloved husband.

6 comments:

Tiffani said...

I went through a mythology phase as well...and I STILL want an owl. My daughter got me hooked on a series about owls called the Guardians of Gahoole.

Glynis said...

Interesting...I can see why fairy tales wouldn't interest you after 'Gone with the Wind', but very interesting about Athena.

Unknown said...

and i thought i was a bookworm!But you have definately outdone me by reading Gone with the Wind by age 10! actually to be honest i still havent read it....will have to add it to my list of books to read.

faery-wings said...

GWTW is one of my all time fav books and movies. In fact I am re-reading it now. Takes me a lot longer than it did when I read it over summer break as a kid. I wonder why that is? LOL

loonyhiker said...

Isn't it funny how some kids know fairy tales and others don't! My hubby didn't grow up with fairy tales so it was hard for him to understand some of the new movies like the Peter Pan movie with Robin Williams. But I do love Gone with the Wind!

heather said...

I agreem the Grimms f/tales were very dark.