Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Hey, I think there is a food tribulation going on

Blog Prompt: Describe one of your favorite family recipes and the story/history behind it.

Or maybe it is just a conspiracy, lol. Yesterday was about what we liked least about ourself and today is about food. Yep this is really going to help me out on my diet, hahahaha.

Here it goes though. I have several family favorites. The best one though is dumplings for my grandfather's chicken and dumplings. They are actually from a century old cookbook (now in my mother's possession) in which the directions are "centuries" old. Instead of a 'cup of' you have take a 'teacup of' or instead of a 'tablespoon' the directions would read 'a heaping spoonful.'

Someday I'll have to remember to ask mom who actually translated it into modern measurements.

Another favorite would be granddad's green beans and mushroom sauce. Truth be told, I do believe later in my life mom cheated and used mushroom soup, adding extra mushrooms. I could be wrong though and I am sure after she reads this, she will put me in my place (the furtherest corner in the furtherest room, etc.)

Lastly would be one that my son and I developed while we were both dieting years ago. The recipe for Mom's Chicken Marinara, as he called it, can be found by clicking on the name. This will take you to actual recipe I posted in May for my sister, bug, who was then hosting the Carnival of Recipes.

2 comments:

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

mmmm... I love chicken & dumplings. I haven't made it in ages. I think I know what we are having for dinner tonight!

loonyhiker said...

Yumm. I love chicken and dumplings too! What day will you be having this so I can come for a visit?