Monday, July 17, 2006

Chips and Tribulations

Blog Prompt: If it would be possible to implant some type of chip that would provide identifying information as well as something like a GPS system into a person's body, would you do it? Would you put it into your child when he/she was first born?

If you would do it, what type of information would you consider having the chip contain? What could be done to change your mind?

If you wouldn't do it, why? What could be done to change your mind?

What do you think the ramifications would be for this idea? What negatives and positives would come from it?


LOL. I think the prompt is probably going to be longer than my answer. Wouldn't do it. Wouldn't put it in my kids, with exceptions as stated below.

Oh, I can see all the possible benefits from it, especially the gps system. But I am not sure the benefits would outweigh the loss of freedom. If I want someone to know where I am, I will tell them. As for personal information, name, dob, serial number, etc., again, it is already to easy for another to access that information, why would I want it in me to be accessed by anyone with above-average computer skills.

Change of mind? Possibly if they are temporary and put in on a voluntary basis and taken out when requested. I can see times when the information and gps would come in handy. For military personnel out in the field. Criminals on probation. And yes, on children IF they have the option of having them taken out when they are of age.

Only thing is, once they start placing them, it will become to easy for the government(s) to decide this is a good thing (like IRS) and for it to become permanent. And I definitely don't want anyone telling me I have to do this.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with your thoughts Tink. Totally.

Anonymous said...

sounds like the end of days

Mrs_Who said...

Wouldn't do it. Nope. No way. No how. Big Brother is watching us enough as it is.

faery-wings said...

Sing it sister!
No way, no how do I want to lose my freedoms. I didn't think of militart inthe field- that does sound like it would have (some) benefit.

Karen said...

I agree. Absolutely not. The bad far outweighs any potential advantages.