Saturday, September 02, 2006

Talents & Tribulations

Blog Prompt: What do you think is your talent that you are the best at or that sets you apart. I know for instance there are many who can sing, but no one has the same voice, so it can be something that someone else can do to, but tell us details about your talent.

While I may have numerous talents, like most of us do, the one thing I do extremely well is cross stitch. I have been cross stitching for years and need to start doing it again. But what sets mine apart from most others?

To begin with I work backwards and upside down (the piece not me). I don't know how else to explain it. But when I have finished the piece the back of it is almost identical to the front. One of my sisters almost had a piece done for her framed wrong because of it.

Years before Mirabella started altering their patterns to include over 1 on linen for the face and hands, I had already been doing it.

I have been told that until you get right up to one of my cross stitch pieces that they look like paintings. Quite a compliment, I think.

UPDATE: Bonnie asked for me to post one. Here is one that I had been working on for my mother. Now I just need to get it finished.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

I really need to get Bombshell's things out of the way so I can get to this. The finished size will be about 3'x3'. Other than a few more flowers, the only other thing I need to get on it are the wings.

8 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wow, I wouldn't know how to cross stitch! Sounds fasinating, you should post a photo of one of your pieces.

Glynis said...

I cross-stitched for years, but my tendonitis keeps me from doing it anymore. I know how detail-oriented and time-consuming it is and yes, you definitely have TALENT!

Gabby Faye said...

This is just beautiful. I wish I could see it and feel it in real life.

I have several started but my eyes aren't that good any more. I finished a couple when I was younger...a knot herb garden and some animals showing where a butcher gets cuts of meat. Those hung in my kitchen. Then I started some lighthouses that were such fine stitching that I soon couldn't see it to finish.

Bonnie said...

Wow, thanks Tink for sharing! They are exquistite! I really like how you got even the ribbon of her dress to have depth and shadow-amazing. Yes, this is defintately a talent to be proud of!

Anonymous said...

I have always loved your cross-stitch. Just wish you had more time to do them.

Pam said...

I used to teach cross-stitch and needlepoint and have some designs that I want to finish - I really need to schedule these things and just begin to spend time doing them. The piece in the photos is lovely!

Anonymous said...

beautiful.

I just finished one I gave as a present for my new nephew. I tend to lose interest in them after a few days. Or weeks.

Mrs_Who said...

Beautiful work!