Saturday, September 16, 2006

Materialistic Tribulations

Weekend Blog Prompt: What has been the greatest gift (apart from life itself and if you have children, apart from them!) that you have ever received? It doesn't have to be of great worth or cost, but is of greatest worth to you, and why do you treasure this gift? Who gave it to you and under what circumstances? Was it expected, if so did it meet expectations or was it a complete suprise?

The first real surprise gift I got was a negligee I received from my father for Christmas when I was about 15-16 years old. I was so surprised because I never thought he thought of me as being old enough for something like that.

The second came from Pan. My dad had given me a black pearl and white pearl ring for my birthday one year. I loved that ring, but my ex sold it so that he could buy a fishing net.

Pan knew how much the ring I lost meant to me and one Christmas I opened a box to find a black pearl and white pearl ring. Several years later, the white pearl fell out and Pan had it replaced with another black pearl. Then bought me a matching black pearl necklace.

While it may seem pretty materialistic, I love these two pieces of jewelry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think I would of died on the spot if my dad had ever bought me something like that at that age! LOL! And I don't think it is being materialistic, one loves gifts like those mentioned by you not for the materilistic reasons, but for the sysmbolism and sentimentality behind them, at least that is what I feel. Like my wedding ring-I don't what I would do if I lost it, it means the world to me because who it is from and what it symbolizes. Thanks for taking part, I must still do my own prompt!LOL!

loonyhiker said...

I think it is so wonderful that Pan is such a caring and sensitive person. You are a lucky gal!