Friday, September 29, 2006

I release you from your tribulations

Friday Blog Prompt: Your prompt is "release". Take that word however you like, and write.

and anxieties of particle colliders (aka particle accelerators).

The largest is the Hadron Particle Collider currently being constructed at CERN near Geneva, Switzerland, the tunnel of which was formerly used to house the electron-positron collider. ~Wikipedia

...contained in a 27 km circumference tunnel located underground at a depth ranging from 50 to 150 metres [1]. The tunnel was formerly used to house the LEP, an electron-positron collider. The 3 metre diameter, concrete-lined tunnel actually crosses the border between Switzerland and France at four points... ~Wikipedia

For more information on particle colliders/accelerators or particle physics visit one or more of the following:

The Large Hadron Collider
Challenges in Accelerator Physics
General Relativitiy and Quantum Cosmology by Adam Helfer
List of accelerators in particle physics
The Particle Adventure
Particle physics in 60 seconds

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you!! That was a release!! Now I know something I didn't know before and am even more confused cos I am not big on engerneering and physics! Is it a tunnel or a device that goes inside a tunnel?? Still not sure what the particle collider does and why your husband would want one-but thanks anyway!

loonyhiker said...

Thank you for letting me become an informed blogger. Of course after I looked up all the big words, I've decided that maybe too much information is a bad thing (my brain began to hurt and cry and whine). Wait until my next party and I start throwing around my new found knowledge. I'll be the hit of the party!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

That is some interesting stuff. I can't wait to share it with DH this evening. I love learning new things

Glynis said...

I agree with all the above...and you are the best at teaching us things we didn't know before (or in my case, never explored with more than passing detail).

Meg said...

LOL, you're crazy, but very knowledgable! A scary combination! Thank you for letting us in on this info!