Saturday, September 09, 2006

A Comment of Tribulations

Weekend Blog Prompt: Take a book, close your eyes and open it at a page (with your eyes still closed) point to any sentence in the book. Open your eyes and then write down the sentence/paragraph you pointed to. Write your thoughts on this sentence/paragraph.

Interestingly enough, the sentence I got was a quote within a book. I used Robert Heinlein's Expanded Universe as the source and the sentence I pointed to just happened to be:

I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
~Thomas Jefferson, 1800 a.d.

Interesting and maybe a little pyschic in light of the date?

Appropriate as well since in just a few days we will be remembering one of the most tragic days to have taken place in the United States.

It should also be noted that even our forefathers were of the mindset that tyranny should be abolished. If they believed that, should we not do so again in this time and space?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

of course-september the 11th! I can't believe it has been so long already. I remember being in my car that day driving and I heard something about the world trade tower and I thought to myself, "what a sick joke" and angrily turned off my radio only to get home and watch the news and there it was-it was such a big shock, not only to americans, but to the whole world. Good quote!

Roses said...

I like all your blog prompt ideas. It's like being back in creative writing class!


Re: the 9/11 anniversary...

If you do not wish to dwell/reflect/marinade in the memories this coming Monday, do not turn on your radio or TV or look at the newspapers. As media, we HAVE to do something to commemorate the date... we don't really get to choose not to.

Just a heads up, there...

Roses said...

tink, I work in radio... upstairs from a newpaper.
I'll be neck-deep in 9/11, too.
;-)