Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Tribulations of Maintaining a Spider Farm

It is not without some effort that I keep the Princess and Indy from knocking down the spider webs which are now infesting our front yard. I have taken to telling them that they must be left alone as the spiders are preparing the webs for Halloween. Still it can be somewhat unnerving to walk out and see a species or two that you don't recall.

After much research, I did finally manage to find out what the first one is. A Crablike Spiny Orb Weaver. Fairly harmless but still intimidating for all their 1/2" size. We also have a baby one that is not any bigger than a pin head. And because it is a baby, Indy is protecting it with his life. How cute is that.

The second I am fairly certain is a garden spider. The red markings continue around to the back, but it seems to be a bit thinner than the garden spiders I have seen. Both the Crablike Spiny and this one are orb weavers and have graced our trees and bushes with delicate lacy webs. It really is a shame they won't last until Halloween.


Crablike Spiny Orb Weaver


Presumably a Garden Spider

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool beans... I have those at my house as well.

ArcaneFaery said...

you are too brave for me, chickie!

Anonymous said...

I like the yellow crab spiders...the dots on their backs make a smiley face!

And we have several HUGE banana/Golden Orb spiders around our house right now. Their bodies are being than my thumb, and their leg area is bigger than my hand.

loonyhiker said...

Oh yuck! I hate spiders! I will almost wreck my car if there is a spider in the car with me!