Thursday, September 13, 2007

Ruts & Tribulations

Thu 9/13 Blog Prompt: Self-motivation. Ever get in a rut and didn't feel like you would ever get out? What did you do to pull yourself up and out?

Probably was in one when I came up with the prompt, LOL. I know we all feel down and out from time to time. But.... there was a time many years ago when I got to an all-time low and figured the world would be better off without me.

I was in a bad marriage and trying to raise three small children on my own. And one night while doing dishes, I really contemplated how my life was going and how bad it had gotten. More than anything I couldn't blame anyone but myself. I really had begun to think it was time to end it all.

But the more I thought about it the madder I became. I was a better person than that, so I changed the locks on the doors. Best decision I ever made. Within six months I was divorced. I was still raising the kids on my own, but knowing that I made the decision to cut the ex out of my life made it all that much easier.

It was hard trying to take care of them on my salary, but I wasn't getting anything from him when we were married anyway, so now I was doing it because I wanted to. Of course, there was the wonderful support of my friends and family who always came (and still do) to the rescue when things got exceptionally tight.

Who would have thought that the one simple act of changing locks would have made such a big difference in my life.

Template by Jennilyn Designs; Papers (c)Theresa Kavouras; Ribbons (c)Thao Cosgrove; Fonts: 2Peas Samantha, 2Peas Rocking Horse

5 comments:

Lemon Stand said...

Wow Tink! Color me impressed! I think that everyone gets to a point in their lives when they say enough is enough. It another ball of wax entirely, to do something positive about it.

Unknown said...

Good on you for changing your life around like that. It must have taken a lot of strngth & determination, well done.

Anonymous said...

Hugs Sis!

Unknown said...

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and, sis, for the big hug.

ArcaneFaery said...

I've been there. Ok, I'm still there. But I'd rather be happy and broke as a joke than miserable and broke or not, any day. I'd rather worry about if the contractor is going to rob me than if my husband is going to beat me. It's so well worth it!!!!