Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Earrings and Necklaces and Tribulations, Oh My!

Tue 9/25 Blog Prompt: Treasure Chest. Which piece of jewelry that you own, do feel is indispensible?

Guess I ought to clue you in... I'm not a jewelry type person. Other than my wedding ring and the 18k gold hand etched band I wear with it, I don't own a lot of other jewelry. Though I am awfully partial to my black pearl ring and necklace. You are so right there is a story behind at least one.

I love black pearls. Can't remember when I didn't. It was shortly after we moved to Guam and my birthday rolled around. Mom and dad bought me the most beautiful black and white pearl ring. I was in heaven, I loved it so much. I wore it all the time.

Then many years later I got married and suddenly the ring disappeared. I found out that my ex had taken it and sold it along with my fire opal necklace and a few other pieces I had. I was devastated. The guy he sold them to sent them to California so I couldn't get them back. I never forgave him for that. Never.

Pan had heard the story and then one year for my birthday surprised me a black and white pearl ring. I couldn't believe how thoughtful, kind and generous my new husband was. (I still can't, lol). Even though it was not the ring my parents had bought, it was the thought he put into it so that I would have a reminder of one that I had lost.

Years later the white pearl fell out so the ring was put until Pan again surprised me with the ring now with two black pearls in it. What can I say, I married a gem. Then one Christmas, to compliment the ring he bought me a beautiful single black pearl necklace on a gold chain. They are not indispensable, but I sure would be lost without them. Thank you Pan.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Other than my wedding rings, gold band, pinkie ring and the strand of pearls my sister gave me when she got married, the above comprises all of my jewelry. White pearl and rubies necklace and earrings, a gift from Pan. The beloved black pearl ring and necklace. Mother and Child cameo a gift from my MIL for mother's day one year. The Koa necklace, bracelet and earrings from NavyNuke. And the rose again from my sister as a symbol of the Marine Corps.

So while I do not have much, each has their special place in my heart as they were gifts from the hearts of those I love.

Template by SVdesigns; Life's Journey kit (c)debi degagne; Font: Distant Galaxy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pan is a total pearl :)
Love the story about your ring and necklace, think it definitely needs scrapping

loonyhiker said...

Pan definitely sounds like a keep to me! Isn't it funny that the jewelry that means the most to us is because of sentimental reasons, not because of how much money they are worth (except for the scum that sold your stuff. He should be shot!)

Tammy said...

What a great husband you do have and you sound like me. I just wear the same earrings and my wedding set. I have a pearl ring I had made for my 40th birthday with sapphires that represent my son. You should give your hubby a special hug.

Unknown said...

He definitely is a pearl and a gem of a husband. All my friends are jealous, LOL.

Yin said...

I totally love pearls. My first was a wedding present from my grandma, unfortunately I lost the pearl, it dislodged from the ring without me knowing!!! My grandma is still with us, she is 102 now, but I haven't the heart to tell her about it. :(