Thursday, September 20, 2007

Cooking Up that Tribulation

Fri 9/21 Blog Prompt: I'm going to deviate from the Fashion theme today and ask if you have ever been in the middle of cooking when if you realized you were missing a key ingredient and couldn't make a dash to the store? What did you do?

This came up, because today, my new range was hooked up to the gas and I got to actually cook something in a real oven. The Princess was all excited about making a cake so I bought the mix and picked up the stuff to make cookies too, together with a roast, some potatoes and onions, you know everything to make use of a range with two ovens.

So we get home, she starts in on her homework and I start on the cake. First cake mix, 1 1/3 cups water, stir. 1/2 cup butter, into the fridge I reach.... No butter. I always have butter. I keep forgetting we have and buy it just about every time I shop. But there was no butter. I looked around the back of the coffee, in the deli drawer, in the crispers and I even looked in the butter drawer. There was not even a pat of butter to be found. None, nadda, nothing.

Okay, this is not going to be a total loss, I have two copies of Joy of Cooking, one of them surely has a substitution in it, right? Wrong. Maybe in the first copy, but I realized I couldn't reach it. Next best thing, call mom, she would know. Surely she has run into this problem before. After she quit laughing at me, we both decided that shortening would probably be the best substitution for butter in the cake. (don't forget the 3 eggs either, lol)

And let me tell you, if you ever find that you are out of butter and in the middle of making a cake, shortening is a wonderful substitution. The cake wasn't as rich, but it was just as light (or lighter) than if it had been made with the real thing. And in our case probably a good thing since I used a very heavy butter cream frosting on it. Now I'm looking forward to a lot more hints and tips to use in my cooking. :)

Club Digital Chill Zone (c)Marcee J. Duggar; Plenty of Journal Room QuickClick Template (c)Jamie Rousselle

7 comments:

Debi said...

First, I love the picture in your layout, that is just cool.

Congrats on the new stove, and wow really shortening I would have never even gone that route. Glad everything worked out for you.

Thanks for stopping by and having a 'cuppa', at cafe digi with me.

Have a beautiful day..

Tammy said...

That is so strang tink, we had the same kind of substitute. And if I'm not mistaken, you can use mayo for the same thing.

I hope you guys didn't get any bad weather last night. I was up wa past midnight watching the weather, getting into the closet,listening to the weather radio and they say it might start back up today.

{B}dreamy said...

Just wanted to say that stuff like that happens to me all the time! Glad you made out okay, haha. *B

Denise said...

Your mom is the best... I would have never thought of that. Glad the cake came out great too!

Unknown said...

Thanks Debi. I think is one of Pan's favorites too. And I am loving the new stove, just can't think of too much to cook on/in it. Been too long since I did much "real" cooking, LOL.

Yeah, Tammy, what do they say "great minds think alike..." (VBG). Didn't have much in the way of bad weather last night but is has been misting all day long. Last week was a whole different story. Lightning all around. Love the rain; but to thrilled about lightning though.

Hi Summers. So I'm not alone in my delusions about having food around I don't have? Anything else I could have understood, but butter? We hardly use it and I buy it all the time.

I think mom is pretty great myself Denise. In fact we are going to spend the night with her tonight. Don't get to see her too much anymore so we're looking forward to it.

mom2triplets04 said...

Glad to hear your cake wasn't a big waste. Good luck with your new oven.

Beachcomber said...

I'm glad everything worked out with the cake. I know you can use applesauce in place of the oil, too. It makes it less fat and moist. What kind of stove did you get? I got a double oven for Christmas last year and I love it!