Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Trips and Tribulations

This past week has been filled with anxiety and excitement, which has lead to a decline in my posting. I'm caught up with the prompts I believe.

Now let me lead you down memory lane starting last Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.

Wednesday
The Princess was home from school, out sick, throwing up. Nice start to the holidays.

Nuke was due home the next day to celebrate the holiday and I wanted to get things cleaned up before he got here. Indy and I were in my bedroom picking up his toys, when he brought me a glass ice cube. I have them for decorative purposes, but I have no idea where he managed to find it from. I wasn't worried they have rounded corners and no sharp edges. Still I took it away from him and put it up high (I forgot about his 5 foot reach). I turned my back to throw a few things away when I hear him crying and turn around and blood is gushing out of the bottom of his foot.

(side note: it was the ice cube again, I can only figure that he got it down, stomped on it and it broke)

Panic sets in. I rush him to the bathroom to wash it out and it looks worse than I thought. It was about an 1" wide and 1/4" deep. And I can't stop the blood flowing. I realized the advantage of having a bluetooth earpiece with voice tags and call Pan. He doesn't understand what I am saying and thought I was chewing him out from coming home early the day before instead of today. Finally, what does get through is, Indy, Blood, Call Bombshell (I don't have her work number voice tagged yet). I grab a pair of shorts (hey they were handy) and wrap it tightly around his foot, call the Princess in to hold it while I get dressed and call the doctor's office, while talking with Bombshell on the other phone.

After wrapping it in gauze and ace bandages off to the emergency room we head. By the time we get there Indy has all but forgotten his foot and is running around, climbing on glass tables trying to look at the helicopter outside and putting on a great show for the receptionists. And he can't be seen until Bombshell shows up.

Note to self: Before leaving for Hawaii 1) Look for medical power of attornies (or call mom to read off the ones I gave her) and print them out for both kids. 2) write that housing letter for Bombshell. 3) put pictures she wants onto cd so she can have prints made. 4) clean out fridge and give food to Bombshell.

Oh, I digress. Anyway, they finally take him back and put him in a room. A real room with a door. A door that shuts. No curtains this time. But it also means I can't occasionally get a glimpse of him or hear him. This might have been a good thing. Bombshell said that she had to hold him down the entire time and each time someone came in, he would say in a loud pitiful voice "Help Me." Three stitches later and we all get to go home.

Thursday - Thanksgiving Day
We get up early to head over to my sister's house at the north, north, west, west side of Florida. Just think as far north and as far west as you can go in Florida and your there. Nuke made it there before we did so he got to spend quality time with mom, ddpup and bear. Lunch was delicious, smoked turkey and pork with green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and just tons of other stuff. I only ate a little as I knew we would be having dinner with Pan's family next.

A little after one, caravaning with Nuke and Bombshell we headed to the beach and to the Hilton for a dinner buffet with Pan's family. Okay, I'm going to complain. I've stayed at Hilton Hotels and have eaten there and have always been impressed. Not so on Thursday. The food was dry and they just didn't have a big variety for being a buffet. Nuf said.

Friday
Bombshell called to say that she was vomiting and would not be going to work that evening. After I got off work I picked the kids up though so she could have a couple of hours of rest. And I got to spend some time with Nuke before he leave at dawn the next day.

Saturday
Woke up sick. Not really sick, sick if you know what I mean. Like I had eaten something that had disagreed with me. Only thing is, it lasted for three days and I still didn't lose the 10 pounds I wanted.

Monday
Back to work. Back home just as fast. No staying at work and being paid for being in the little library. Gave up eating (still no lose of weight). Bombshell picks the kids up late; but Indy is still awake. His schedule is so screwed. She gets them home and while she is putting the Princess in bed, Indy finds the new bottle of toothpaste and promptly smears it all over himself, the carpet and in his mouth. Bomb calls to see what she needs to do. Another call to the Poison Control Center.

Tuesday
Back to work and managed to stay. Bombshell called to say that she had an appointment for the Princess at 3:20 but she was going to be able to take her. Leave work and stop at Whataburger (I was starving). Ordered a Whataburger with cheese to go. Get home, take a big bite out of it and it is topped with loads of jalepena. Gave up eating again. (still no weight lose). Bombshell calls to say that she had to go into work early. Everyone called in sick or just didn't show, would I take the Princess to the doctor.

She has chronic intestinal problems and will probably have to be on some kind of medication for the next 6 months to a year. That and we will have to go over what she can and cannot eat with her father and other grandparents. The doc has already advised that she will continue to have severe stomach cramps this week.

Now we are back to Wednesday and what does all this have to do with trips? Plenty. It means I am not ready at all for mine next Wednesday. No figuring out what to take, no packing, no lose of that extra 10 pounds so now I have to buy some new clothes; nothing. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

9 comments:

Glynis said...

Oh my goodness! What a weekend at your house!! Hope everyone gets to feeling better...and that you still have some time to get everything ready for your trip.

Anonymous said...

oh poor tink!!!!! fyi, if they have ingested too much fluoride, they will vomit in half an hour. not that I am ssuggesting this has EVER happened at my house ;) considering your week, though, maybe you all ate fluoride

here to hoping the 10 lbs go easily!

Anonymous said...

Tink you so need to get on that plane on Wednesday. Never mind if you haven't got all the preparations in place that you would like. You just need to be out of Florida for a while.

Denise said...

Hey, that is where I'm headed today.. off to Disney! Your week sounded like mine last week, hang in there the trip will be worth every minute of it!

Photopassion said...

You´ve had a very busy week! WOW!
I want to thank you for all your kind words on my blog, this means so much to me :)
You have a very nice blog, too - love your slideshow. Will bookmark it to check back soon!
Have a fantastic day,
Hugs
Conny

loonyhiker said...

What an awesome story! We like to travel so here is my advice. Make a list. Pack what you can. Before you lock the door as you leave, make sure you have your tickets, photo ID, medication, and credit card. Whatever you have left at home, you can always buy when you get there. Stop worrying about what you don't have! (My mom always said it was good luck if you left something at home. It means you will return home safely. Now I worry about finding what I left at home so I will have good luck!)

Mrs_Who said...

You're definitely in need of this trip. All these 'tribulations' will be forgotten (mostly) before you get back.

Have a great time!

carin.c said...

Stomach things are the worst.. ruined Christmas Day last year for me so I hope it is not travelling north! LOL! Enjoy Hawaii - I'll be in Disney, and yes we did book a character meal - thanks for the tip! PS - Haven't even begun to pack.

Anonymous said...

Note to Indy - You're a lucky fella. Chicks dig scars. Just be sure to make up a better story than "I stepped on a glass ice cube". Try "I got it while kicking the katana out of a ninja's hand".