Monday, November 06, 2006

Manners & Tribulations

Monday Blog Prompt: What manners do you stress in your family and which do you let slide? (This applies to adults, too, not just children).

Interesting prompt, I must say, insomuch as to see how things are different from generation to generation.

I grew up where manners meant a lot. It was always "yes ma'am," "yes sir," "no ma'am," or "no sir," when you were talking with an adult. When calling them by name, it was always "Mr." or "Mrs." Although there were a few adults that were close enough that we would refer to them as "Aunt" or "Uncle." Elbows were kept off the table and you never talked with your mouth full. Dinner was almost always a family affair and would always be held at the table.

I still do the same things, although I have to admit, I do put my elbows on the table now. Not when I am eating, but talking, even if the other people are still in the throes of their dinner. Dinner is no longer necessarily eaten at the table; but oft times in front of the television (unless the grands are here, then it is back up to the table).

My children were instilled with the same values, but I could see some changes. I found that a lot of my friends preferred to have the children call them by their first name; and they had their children call me by my first name. There was still the "yes ma'am," "yes sir," "no ma'am," or "no sir." And if the adult was not a firm acquaitance then it became "Mr.," "Mrs.," or "Miss."

And now I am trying to impress those same manners upon the Grands. Maybe it will work. We will have to see.

6 comments:

Glynis said...

Impressing manners upon the little ones can be quite a challenge, especially when we as the teachers are not backed up by the rest of society...it is interesting, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

sounds similar to the way I was raised. Unfortunately, dh doesn't quite have the same views so my kids don't have the sir, m'am down. They don't all even hold their utensils correctly - grr. BUT we have dinner together at the table! It is a point of contention with me as manners are FREE and should be learned.

loonyhiker said...

It seems like we were raised the same way! I also notice around here that many people have their young children call me Ms. Pat. OOOh, I feel old!

Anonymous said...

I was raised with most of that,except the no elbows on the table. I was only ever told that at Girl Scout camp. It's a bit odd because both my parents do keep their elbows off the table. I think I was 30 before I ever addressed one of my parents' friends by their first name & I still feel a bit disrespectful doing it.

Unknown said...

we were brought up to call adults "mr" or "mrs" or "aunt" or "uncle" as well. I'll do the same with my kids (if we ever get around to having any!lol)

carin.c said...

Having kids you get back to eating at the table instead of in front of the TV which was a favorite for some time. Important to get that family time and start to build proper table manners!