Saturday, November 04, 2006

Mr. Clean's Recent Tribulations

Recently there has been a post going around about Mr. Clean Erasers. I have to admit that I jumped on the bandwagon myself and let people I know with small children know the blog address to look it up. Pan is more skeptical than I am and always (and I mean ALWAYS) researches this type of rumor.

What I failed to do myself was to look at the product mentioned in the article or tell actually read the article carefully. So in an effort to redeem myself:

First off, the child in question was using an "eraser" that had a blue abrasive side to it. Is it possible the child was using that side to rub his face? Maybe it is an abrasive burn.

Second, the child was apparently not being supervised with the questionable.

Thirdly, I did the same google search and what appeared was gossip and opinions. No hard facts.

If you want to do further research on the matter, I suggest that you check out Snopes and Urban Legends as starting points.

3 comments:

Meg said...

Interesting. I don't think the blog I pointed you towards was talking about formaldehyde and it was a confirmed chemical burn, not abrasion, but it is always good to have all the information. Thanks for researching this!

Unknown said...

you make a good point.there is always rumours going around and its easy to jump on the bandwagon without hearing all the facts, or both sides of the story. I do feel terribly sorry for that little boy and hope that if it is proven and true, that these companies do something so it doesnt happen again

Unknown said...

I agree that there is always two sides to the story; but according to the information in the blog it was a chemical burn. There is really nothing to confirm that other than the word of the blogger. I truly feel for the child and it is possible that it is a chemical burn. Possibly one from something that he 'mopped' up with the "eraser/sponge."

Having worked for an attorney for so long, I am amazed that I just took the blog as being true with confirming the facts. Hence my apology.

Also having done some research, after the fact, there is nothing I have been able to notably confirm there is actually a chemical involved in the making of the sponge.

I am not trying to diminish the anguish of the mother involved; but neither am I committed to believing what she wrote without further facts.