Thursday, November 16, 2006

Future Tribulations

Thurs 11/16 Blog Prompt: If you had an opportunity to see your future, would you want to? Why or why not?

No. Absolutely not. That falls under the same category as changing the past. Seeing my future may inspire to do things differently, in which case the future I saw would no longer be a reality and I would have to contually be able to see the future just to see if it comes out okay.

I would never be able to just enjoy the moment. And that's what it is all about, isn't it?

Movies like the "Butterfly Effect" and the one SciFi put out several years ago, tend to mirror how I feel about knowing the future. Changing one little thing can have devastating ripple effects. Am I smart (or brave) enough to make those decisions? I think not.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very smart! My knowing the future, you change it.

Great answer to the prompt! I love the part of enjoying the moment!

Glynis said...

I agree with you. I KNOW I'm not smart enough to be able to make the right decisions.

loonyhiker said...

I didn't think about ripple affects. I think it might drive me a little crazy knowing I couldn't change anything...but then again, I'm loony already so...

Magz said...

I agree with Beth about the enjoying the moment point. And I completely agree with your first point, if you knew what was coming and didn't like the outcome you'd forever be chasing yourself changing things. Plus, the ripple effect is just too much responsibility, I wouldn't want to have to think for myself PLUS everyone else!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Tink. The whole paradox thing would kick in and life would be a mess. Besides if you know what the day's going to bring, what's the point of living it?

Anonymous said...

Here here! live for the present, learn from the past and look forward to the future!

Anonymous said...

ditto what everyone said. I agree with your post. part of what makes life fun is not knowing!

Anonymous said...

I'd only want to see my future if I happened to be reading the stock price listings of the Wall Street Journal at the time :-)