Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Music, Youth and Tribulations

Wed 11/8 Blog Prompt: MUSIC—What are your early memories of music? What kind did you/do you prefer? Have your tastes changed over the years?

Twasn't really music in the sense one thinks of bands and such, but one of my first memories is of some records ddpup and I use to have many years ago. They were more than sing-alongs, they were play alongs. She and I rode the seven seas with Christopher Columbus and discovered the new world; "one if by land; two if by sea," echoed through the house as we used the back of the armchairs and couch as horses helping Paul Revere deliver the news. And there were more. We knew all the songs by heart.

By the time I was entering my early teens the Beetles were making news. (Does this date me or what, lol). Look most I was enamoured with the rebellious haircuts and outfits; but soon outgrew them as time when on and Joe Cocker, Bread and Guess Who made the scene. Guess who will always have a special place in my heart due to the Abbott & Costello encounter between mom and my grandmother (paraphrased):

Grandmother: How are the girls?
Mom: Doing fine. Tink is at a concert tonight.
Grandmother: Who did she go see?
Mom: The Guess Who.
Grandmother: I don't know who, that's why I'm asking.

and so it goes. I got to see one of Kiki Dee's first public appearences as she opened for The Guess Who. Most outstanding concert though had to be the one put on by Black Oak Arkansas. Truly amazing.

Over the years though, I have mellowed and really prefer new age, meditation and celtic music to flow across my eardrums and sooth my tired mind. Although a quick lapse into Meatloaf and Pink Floyd never hurts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol - love the conversation. guess who!!!!