Monday, November 27, 2006

Childhood Shows and Tribulations

Mon 11/27 Blog Prompt: What was your favorite childhood cartoon, comic, or TV show?

I'm definitely going to age myself with this one, lol, as when I was going up cartoons came on Wednesday night and were really for adults, you know, the Flintstones, Bugs Bunny, etc. Batman with Adam West came on Thursday nights and each episode ended with "To be continued next week at the same Bat time; on the same Bat channel."

But my absolute favorites had to be the weekends when I would watch the old Shirley Temple, Jungle Jim and Tarzan shows (yes they were old even when I was a child). Living vicariously as the little orphans that Shirley played or hacking my way through the jungle with Jungle Jim and Tarzan, both of whom were played by Johnny Weissmuller. Yes, those were great shows to watch as I was growing up.

11 comments:

loonyhiker said...

You aren't aging yourself too much! I remember those and enjoyed them too. By the way, we stayed at the Hilton and we visited the Quark's Bar (on your recommendation). It was really cool! We watched someone drink a big green drink with smoke coming out of it.

Anonymous said...

I loved Shirley Temple and have introduced my girls to her movies. My sons were less than excited...lol...I remember watching Batman on one of the early cable channels...same Bat time, same bat channel

Anonymous said...

you totally cleared something up for me. I remember staying UP to watch the flintstones when I was little and recalling it later, it always confused me. I thought I just didn't remember correctly. So it was for adults, eh? that explains it!

from your myopic friend...

Anonymous said...

LOVED Bugs Bunny and Fred...good stuff!

carin.c said...

I liked Shirly Temple movies when I was little. As a mater of fact I just caught a recent remake of one that I thought was quite good -the Little Princess I think?

Anonymous said...

Shirley Temple? Wow. I never knew.

Meg said...

My dd has been watching the Flintstones lately and I'm reliving the memories! Great shows, I loved Batman, too!

Glynis said...

My mother is a huge Shirley Temple fan too and I grew up watching those wonderful shows as well. Wasn't she adorable? And I love the campy old Batman--ZOWIE!

Anonymous said...

Batman was absolutely brilliant. It was like a cartoon show done with real people. And it played to two levels. Kids (like us Tink) watched it at face value like a cartoon show. But adults could watch it and get all the double entendres and the send ups.

Anonymous said...

Pretty much anything produced by Warner Bros. and voiced by Mel Blanc.

Learned everything I know about 40's pop culture through those cartoons :-)

Mrs_Who said...

And the Bugs Bunny cartoons also connected with classical music and opera.