Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Teenage Mortifications and Tribulations

Tues 11/28 Blog Prompt: As suggested by Jennyrae yesterday - The book "Mortified" by Dave Nadelberg goes on sale tomorrow, see his web. Anyway it is a collection of readings from teen diaries. Bad poetry, crazy stories, angst etc. Thought it would be fun to do that here as a posting. Share an old entry or poem from our teenage diaries.

I never kept a diary during high school. Too busy I guess. But I do have one particularly embarrassing moment. One that Love2Scrap will be able to relate to.

I lived on Guam during most of my high school years and use to go swimming at the pool just about every day. I thought I was so hot in my green bikini and would strut around like I owned the world. But who at 16-17 doesn't think that, right?

All of that came dashing around my feet the day I dove off the high dive and came up. Out of the pool I came, strutting up to the deck for the a sunbath, soaking in the looks of admiration I was getting from all the young men there. That is until one of the young airmen, who also happened to be a friend, came up and explained that half of my bikini top was not where it was suppose to be. I looked down and sure enough one side had slid up over the top of my semi-ample breast. And as I had been walking it had been waving helllloooo to every one of those airmen.

Mortified? I wanted to lay right down and die, right there, right then. I guess I could have just slunk away never to appear at the pool again, but guess what? Guam is not that big. There is no place to hide. So I did the only thing I could think of. I stood up and fixed in front of everyone, with a glare that said, "Okay you have had your look, but don't ever think you will touch it."

I can laugh about it now, but back then it was horrible on two counts: one, it happened, and two, a guy told me about it.

4 comments:

Mrs_Who said...

How embarrassing!! At first, I thought at least that guy had the decency to come forward and tell you. But then I also realized he got a closer look than anyone else!

Anonymous said...

aaaaah someone to share my pain!! But I didn't know anyone :)

Anonymous said...

Arrghh! I can feel your embarrassment just reading this. Every girl's pool nightmare.

Jenny said...

Applause and standing ovations here that you were able to keep it together and slam a comment at all. I would have screamed, covered the offending body part and ran like he?? out of there. You rock girl!