Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Traditional Tribulations

Tues 11/21 Blog Prompt: Do you have any unusual holiday traditions? And/or what traditions are you looking forward to this holiday season?

I don't know if it unusual, but it's a tradition. One that I remember from my childhood. The Christmas stocking. My parents always put oranges and peppermint sticks (such as King Leo's). First we would roll the orange between our hands to release the juices and then mom or dad would cut a hole in the top for us to slip the peppermint stick into to use as a straw.

I have carried that tradition into my own home. My kids grew up with stockings filled with apples, oranges, pears, walnuts, pecans and, of course, King Leo peppermint sticks. So while they were opening their gifts, they were munching on the fruit from their stockings and watching Miracle on 34th Street.

I recall overhearing them talking to some friends after Christmas one year. Everyone was talking about what they had gotten in their stockings. This was the first time my children realized that you could get toys in your stocking. Uh oh. I just knew I was in for it. Then they told their friends about the fruit and nuts they got. Suddenly they were the most popular kids on the block. Everyone was wishing their folks did that too.

Bombshell doesn't do it for her kids (I don't think), but then they come over here where I have stockings for the Princess and Indy filled with fruit. And I am not sure whether Scamp and Honey carry on the tradition. Guess I will have to ask them when I get to Hawaii in two weeks.

7 comments:

loonyhiker said...

This sounds so great! I am going to have to find these peppermint sticks. I'm dying to try it!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I love the thought of sticking the peppermint sticks into the oranges. Have to try it out.
And yes, you've gotta have an old black and white Christmas movie on TV.

Mrs_Who said...

What a beautiful tradition. I've never heard of those peppermint sticks before...hope I can find some.

Mrs_Who said...

And, Hawaii??? Too cool!

Glynis said...

I really should try the orange/peppermint thing...my children would think it was just the coolest! Oh and how is it that you get to go to Hawaii and Pat gets Christmas in the Carribbean?? :) I'm jealous...sounds like fun!!

Anonymous said...

we always have a tangerine in the bottom (a childhood tradition) but never ever heard of the peppermint!! very cool idea!

carin.c said...

What a great tradition. I may have to use this one! Toys are too overrated and they are taking over my home as well!