Sunday, November 12, 2006

Teenage Tribulations

Weekend Blogging 11/11-11/12: How about your favourite memory from your teenage years? courtesy of Magdalene

Gosh there are so many of them. For most of my teenage years I was on Guam. The island is a teenager's paradise or at least it was in the early 70's. But one memory really stands out, sort of.

If you will recall in the early 70's we were still in the midst of the Vietnam conflict. At the time I was a member of the Protestant Youth Organization and the Catholic Youth Organization (that's the part that is fuzzy, I can't remember which orchestrated the visit). Anyway, with one of the organizations, I visited the military hospital where all the men who had been injured were shipped prior to going stateside.

I remember sitting by their beds reading, talking, singing to them and even helping them with writing letters home. It was a very profound experience which, I am sure, shaped my mindset of today.

These young men were so courageous, that even at 16-17, I felt honored to be in their presence. God bless them all.

5 comments:

Mrs_Who said...

What a wonderful memory to have...it sounds like something ALL teens should have to do!

Anonymous said...

What a cool prompt and answer. It brought back my memories of visiting an old age home with the horses and putting on a 'show' for them. I loved it and the wonderful connection I got with all the people.

Unknown said...

Runs in the family apparently. They built a nursing home behind our home and prior to the fencing going up, Bombshell volunteered there. She loved going over and talking the people and spending time with them.

carin.c said...

What a timely Veteran's Day/weekend prompt. Can't say I've ever had such a profound teenage moment.

Magz said...

Lovely memory Tink!
Reminded me of my years in our church youth group- we went Christmas caroling to the local nursing home. I remember the people's faces glowing. We were no choir to say the least, but we sang from the heart. I guess it showed :)