Monday, October 16, 2006

Tribulations of Shush Like a Turtle Day

Monday Blog Prompt: Create a new holiday (e.g. Talk Like a Pirate Day). Include the origins and any special rituals of your day.

Oh this one is a hard one, I think. Maybe I should wait to see what everyone else comes up with or maybe not.

My holiday is Shush Like a Turtle Day. On this day everyone will have to talk in soft inside voices all day.

Shush like a Turtle Day always starts out with a very quiet breakfast of oatmeal with sugar and milk. Not instant oatmeal either but the real thing, with sliced bananas in it. Lunch has to be equally quiet with cheese sandwiches and cantaloupe slices. Shhhhhhh... Dinner is fast approaching and must include homemade chicken 'n' dumplings with sliced peaches.

During the day small quiet gifts will be awarded to the winners of the "Tag the Turtle." And since everyone will get to be tagged, everyone will get a gift.

What is "Tag the Turtle?" you say. I get to start the game first thing in the morning (well I will be the first on up) and I get to tag the first person to come out. They must not make a sound for five minutes, after which they get to tag someone else.

After dinner we sit around the living room floor in a circle and exchange stories. Then just before bed everyone will get to yell out hip hip hooray.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is too cute. I used to play a similar game whenI was teaching PreK-- The Whipser Voice Day or something like that.

Anonymous said...

I'd love a Shush Day, or even a Little Less Loud Than Usual Day

Anonymous said...

Are you sure we are related? You are wayyyy tooooo creative. Oh... wait a minute... so is ddpup and mom. Hmmmm... I wonder if I was adopted?

loonyhiker said...

Yum! I love cantalope and chicken 'n' dumplings! I wish we could have that day at my school (can you picture 2300 high school students talking in soft indoor voices?? lol) Where is your son moving to in SC? He will love it! (I do!)

Mrs_Who said...

I am going to so use Shush like a Turtle Day in my classroom!

Anonymous said...

So interesting! I always start the morning with oatmeal (the real kind) and milk and syrup, the kids love it and the energy from it lasts all morning. I love the idea of the chicken and dumplings. I have never had that. Is it an american dish?