Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Television Tribulations

Tuesday Blog Prompt: Of all the TV programs, which one have you watched the most? Why?Is it connected in some way to your life and/or perspective?

It's funny that as I have gotten older I really have started watching television more. And everyone has opinions about what the best show is. My mom will let me know about shows she really likes (that's how I got hooked on NCIS); the Princess is just as bizarre as her mother and really likes watching House (another I wait anxiously for the next episode; then there's The Closer, Monk and Boston Legal. But they are all dramas or comedies, wherein my real love happens to be science fiction. And now we have Smallville, Dr. Who (the new one) and the #1 all time favorite show: Stargate SG-1.

Pan and I have been watching it since it started on Showtime some 10 years ago. We have followed the live and deaths and rebirths of the characters. I love the camaraderie between them all and how the military is portrayed in a positive light. Besides who hasn't liked Richard Dean Anderson since he played MacGyver?

Is it connected to my way of life or perspective? I doubt it. I watch it for fun. I watch it to be transported into a different reality and perspective from my own. I don't want to watch a show about me, that would be too boring (well, parts anyway).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I like House too, and my hubby love NCIS. I also like CIS which I forget to mention in my blog, but am not a die-hard-never-miss-an-episode fan of it. The real side of things like that effect me too much.

Glynis said...

House is also one of my TV addictions too. I have some kind of weird admiration for people who just say whatever the heck they feel like saying--but there is NO WAY I could work with someone like that!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I watched the first season on SG-1 and part of the Atlantis one as well, but something else started coming on at that time & I lost track of the plots. I'm going to have to rent them & get caught up. Thansk for reminding me

loonyhiker said...

I laughed when I read yours because we were watching NCIS as I read your entry! I enjoy it but I miss Kate on the show. We also watch CSI but neither one are something I will knock someone out of the way to get to the TV for.

Mrs_Who said...

Yay for sci-fi fans!!

Have you been watching "Heroes"? That show has been entertaining and riveting from the beginning!

Karen said...

Do you remember RDA's line in the very first Stargate episode where he had to fix up something but he didn't have the tools to do it? 'I McGyvered this...'

carin.c said...

House is one I try to catch too. I don't have Showtime so I haven't seen some of those, but I have been addicted to quite a few of the HBO dramas... of course the Sopranos (being from that area of NJ), Six Foot Under, Rome, and admittedly Big Love. All very creative (and mosttimes twistedly dysfunctional) drama.

Jenny said...

Richard Dean Anderson OH YEAH! LOved MacGyver. My brother use to try to make the stuff he did on the show, it was hysterical!

Kirsten N. Namskau said...

I like documentary, discovery and animal planet. I'm not so much into all these soaps and serials.I watch them for a while and then I go bored. To me, they are only sex, war and/or violence.
As a child, I liked "The little house on the prarie" and "Flipper"
By the way...at the time, I don't have TV and have not watched Tv since 1989 except if I'm visiting someone