Monday, October 09, 2006

The Tribulations of Catching Up

First, I am recovering (I think). The throat isn't as sore although there seems to still be some of those white pustules on the left side that hurt like heck when I swallow certain things. Hot bread and butter are okay. Sugar is out. Ears are fine.

Still this has just not been my week. I opened the door to call the Princess in this evening and I got bitten by a mosquito at the corner of my eye. Now my eye is all puffy and swollen.

But I would really like to get caught up on the blog prompts so I'm going to start with the weekend:

Weekend Blog Prompt: Describe/talk about your relationship with a sibling. Did you fight as children? Now? What similarities or differences do you have....? What do you like about them.. or anything else you want to write about them. Or, if you don't have any siblings, would you want one and why?

As most of you know, I have two sisters, the Bug and ddpup. Me? I'm the oldest, 2 years older than ddpup and 8 years older than the Bug.

ddpup and I were pretty close growing up. Oh we had the usual sibling fights and disagreements, but on the whole we got along great. We had to. Sometimes there just wasn't anyone else but each other. See, we were AF Brats. Lot of traveling, lot of different places and sometimes the transfer didn't last as long as we thought it would. On the honest side of it though, if there was going to be trouble, I started it.

She was just the sweetest little thing. She was my own personal walking and talking doll. And we stayed pretty close up until I got married and moved out of state. I think those things just happen. We are close again and speak whenever possible, though not nearly as frequently as the bug and I. I think ddpup knows it is because I love her. If not, I'm telling it to you know sis.

The bug on the other hand, was still a child when I left home. She did all the buggy little sister things, like dumping out a whole bottle of perfume that a third grade class I had been helping in bought me. Shouting out a window "I'm telling mom" when I was kissing a date good-night. You get the picture. She was a pest then too. LOL.

Now we are much closer as she is going through an experience I have been through and am doomed to repeat again. Raising children. Her two sons ages fall between the Princess' and Indy's. Actually the Princess is quite a bit older than all of them. But it gives us more to talk about now than we had previously and I find I really enjoy listening to the prattle that I know I put our mother through.

Monday Blog Prompt: Let's share recipes today or talk about seasonal foods you look forward to at this time of year.

Hey, I live in Florida. What seasonal foods? Okay enough of the silliness (must be the meds). It is funny this came up today, since I tried out a new weight watchers recipe on the Nuke. Actually it was for me, but he likes experimenting and it sounded good. (it was by the way, I just couldn't eat much because it irritated my sore throat).

White Bean-Tomato Pasta
Prep: 5 minutes Cook: 10 minutes

6 oz. uncooked penne pasta
1 (19 oz) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed & drained
1 1/2 cups halved grape tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped, pitted Kalamata olives
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Basil sprig (optional)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
2. Place beans in colander; drain pasta over beans, reserving 2 tablespoons pasta water. Combine beans, pasta, reserved water, tomatoes and next 6 ingredients in a bowl; toss well. Garnish with basil if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 3/4 cups)
Weight Watchers five ingredient 15 Minute Cookbook


Very tasty with hot bread and butter.

4 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I can't imagine traveling so much as a child. It is great that you had each other. I am the youngest of 3 girls so I know how much your relationship with bug means to her too. You made me miss my sister so I think I'll call her today!

Kirsten N. Namskau said...

I'll try that bean-tomato pasta... Sounds good

Glynis said...

Yummy recipe--my kids are addicted to those grape tomatoes! And I totally understand about moving around a lot--my sister was sometimes my only friend!

Anonymous said...

You're a sweetie...