Monday, October 30, 2006

Hints, Tips and Tribuations

Monday Blog Prompt: Since we're all scrapbookers & photographers, let's share some of the tips we've learned. OR, if you're new to all of this, ask a question so we can leave ideas in your comments. The tips can be for scrapbooking, photography, or general computer use.

Gosh, I don't know if I really know anything, you guys don't already know. Though there seems to be some question about dpi (computer) and ppi (printer) and I do know something about that. Nothing complicated mind you.

I use to work for the newspaper as more than an accountant, but as their graphic artist as well (it is not like scrapbooking, believe me); and was sent to several Photoshop seminars. I did learn quite a bit about quick mask and printing. As I am sure you are aware printing on newspaper is quite different than printing on glossy paper or photo paper.

But the general rule of thumb was that your dpi (dots per inch) should be no higher than 1/4 to 1/3 of your ppi (pixels per inch); edging on the downward side for paper that spreads the ink.

More to the point, let's say you have a 600 ppi printer... then you should save your graphics, photos, etc., as 150 dpi but no higher than 200 dpi; any more and it is just wasted. Now if you have a 1200 ppi printer go ahead and save at 300 dpi.

Now I am not saying that you have to conform to this rule of thumb; and I don't, kind of. When I am scanning, I always scan at 600 dpi. "Why?" you say. Because I have a couple of large back-up drives to save them to as well as a dvd burner (doesn't hurt to have more than one source). But I duplicate the project and reduce the dpi before I work on it or print it.

Always take the time to see what your printer's ppi is and what type of paper you are going to be using. See, I really don't want to cause my printer sensory overload.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're very punny! GRIN. Thanks for the explanation in writing.

loonyhiker said...

This was great! I never knew anything about this and now I have to go find out about my printer. It was really interesting (you have a way with words!)

carin.c said...

I always feel dpi/ppi challenged - this was quite helpful. Thanks!