Monday, January 21, 2008

I Would like... to get rid of this Tribulation

Mon Blog Prompt 1/21: Finish the sentence 'Today I would like ...'.

For Indy to be completely potty trained. He is driving us nuts about it. It's not that he can't do it or even that he won't do it. He is just so intense about what he is doing that he forgets. Then if he messes in his pants he feels guilty and won't tell anyone. We are at our wits end trying to think of something that will make he want to tell us. Let me tell you what we have tried and if you have any other suggestions, I'm listening..

1. Taking him every hour. He will go when you take him, but still won't tell when he has to between times.
2. Pan takes him every time he goes.
3. Cheerios. He just gives you that look that says your crazy.
4. Potty parties. Everyone gathers in the bathroom cheering him on, singing and clapping. He likes this but still won't tell you when he has to go.
5. The Princess very dramatically announces every time she has to go, especially if she is in the middle of doing something.
6. Food dye. So far he likes this the best and will go when you tell him. Most times with a fight, but loves putting the dye in the water when he gets in there.
7. This morning I did a mock routine with his toy monkey making him go potty. I turned the water on lightly so it sounded like he was going, talked to him and then flushed the toilet. I was hugging the monkey as I went back out and Indy was sitting there all upset. I asked him if he wanted to go and he said yes. But I don't think this is going to work a second time.

So if any of you have any ideas at all, I'm open for suggestions.

Template by Digitreats; Raspberry Goodness (c)Raspberry Road; Font: Sue Ellen Francisco


4 comments:

Tammy said...

Girl you got me there. I let my son pretty much tell me when he was ready and we didn't have any problems with him. He was about 2 1/2 when he was potty trained. I wish I had some words of wisdom for ya.

Meg said...

Well, we're still dealing with #2 issues, but those stem from autism/sensory issues. We had great success for #1, though.

It took us three loooooong days. I set a timer to ring every 20 minutes. We would go in and he had to spend 3 minutes in there, sitting, whether he had to go or not. Major M&M rewards and cheering for successes. By the end of the second day, he was so sick of going in there, he would go on command. By the third day, I didn't use the timer, but asked him regularly if he needed to go, and he was usually telling me (or doing "the dance") anyway.

Sounds like a stubborn boy you have there, Tink! LOL, shocking!

Stephani said...

I don't have any advice as I haven't had to potty train yet but I would like to offer big hugs and hopes that you find something soon that works. Good luck.

loonyhiker said...

I remember doing "target practice" with my nephew. We made bullseye targets on one sheet of toilet paper and had a pile we kept near him as a reminder. He couldn't wait to take one and aim so he would let us know. Maybe that would work.