Thursday, October 25, 2007

Classical Tribulations

Thur 10/25 Blog Prompt: I've been wanting to do a prompt about books, but couldn't think of a new one. So I borrowed this prompt from the Booking Through Thursday blog. When you're finished with the prompt, make sure you go back and post a comment on their post entitled 'Read With Abandon'. What books have you abandoned (without finishing) and why?

Oh, I know, I know. "Billy Budd" by Herman Melville. I couldn't get past the first page it was so boring. It was one of the books that was 'required' reading in my advanced English class in high school. We had to read a total of five 'classics.' But when it came time for the test, the instructor told us that we could eliminate one of the books from our test. The entire class chose "Billy Budd." This was not a class vote, so I don't think I explained that very well.

The test questions could apply to any book you read. For each question we had to give an answer for four of the books. When the instructor gave us our graded tests back she told us that none had chosen to include "Billy Budd." So what does that tell you about the book? LOL.

Wish I knew who decided what books are 'classics.' Because I think a classic is a book that most people enjoy reading. My two cents worth.

Template by Kathleen Giuliano; Wild Tropics paper (c)Dahlia Co Designs; Fonts: Bankoli Bold, Franklin Gothic Book

7 comments:

Tammy said...

OHHHHHHHHH I forgot about books you had to read in high school. We were required to read one every semester in English I, II, III, IV. Some were good and some were right out boring!!!!!!!!

Love your Sea World layout. DH and I went to see Shamu last year and that was the time that they were changing the show. So, Shamu just came out for a few minutes and no tricks!!!!!! We were sooooooo dissapointed.

Glynis said...

I agree that I have no idea why one book is a 'classic' and another isn't...literature is so subjective. One man's classic is another's abandoned book :)

John Mutford said...

Moby Dick couldn't have been any better!

Jane said...

I forgot about Billy Budd. I think I repressed the memory!

Linda Walton aka bobbysgirlforever said...

Hmmmm .... well Tink, I think dearest Billy Budd is on a bookshelf around here somewhere!!! One of my boys brought it home (required reading in HS, YES!) If I read it in HS, I am not recollecting although there is ONE book I read in my sophomore year that I'll NEVER forget. It's title is "Johnny Got His Gun" and was about a soldier in the Viet Nam war, who lost both arms, both legs, was blinded, muted, but had a brain that would not quit. He learned to communicate with the world around him (hospital staff) via morse code. I need say no more. It was TRULY a VERY inspirational story and for lack of a better description, the MOST amazing TRUE story I've ever read!

I can not tell you what book I might have last abandoned - OH WAIT, yes I can. My mother gave me a book all about menopause!!! ROFL! Am I in denial? NO! Just not had the time to devote to it yet!!!

I read well, but am given mostly to reading anything based on reality and facts. The last BIG read I did was a few years ago when I devoured the trilogy of books by Dave Pelzer (the worst documented case of child abuse in the Bay Area, which is where I was raised here in California); "A Boy Called It", "The Lost Boy" and "A Man Named Dave". I would probably put this set of books right behind "Johnny Got His Gun" for ME. I read all three of these books in two days. I could NOT put them down. Yes, unfortunately it was because I could relate, although after barely getting into the first book, I realized how lucky I was. I learned LONG, LONG ago that there is ALWAYS someone out there with a more tragic story than one's own.

Today, I am MOST grateful for where I've come from and who I've become. And just look at ALL of the INCREDIBLE people that I've had the opportunity to meet!!! Yes, YOU Tink! You RAWK girl!

Thank you SO much for ALL of your LOVELY comments on my blog about Mama. She was overwhelmed when I told her yesterday just how many people have been thinking about and/or praying for her and leaving wishes for a Happy Birthday!!!

You are SO sweet!

BIG HUGS,
Linda

P.S. I apologize if I got off track! It's a VERY bad habit of mine!!! I think we refer to it as RAMBLING!

Unknown said...

Thanks Tammy. Even though the whales performed I was still disappointed in the show. I would have enjoyed hearing more about them than their trainers growing up. Just me though.

I have to agree with you Glynis. Literature, to me, is like art. Each person perceives what they can most relate to in art and in literature. I think it is wrong to penalize a child because they happen to have a different opinion about a book than an adult.

Hi John, you can have my copy of Billy Budd and Moby Dick, LOL. Never did get much out of either the books nor the movies. But at least I was consistant, right?

I wish I could repress it Jaimie, LOL. I really did not like the book at all.

Oh Linda, you rock too, girl. Rambling is a good thing, a very good thing. I so enjoy reading everything you write. Though, again, I must admit I really don't read alot of true to life books as I feel I have enough in my own life to consider, :)

Donna said...

I can't stand Melville. For me the worst was The Confidence Man, but Billy Budd was horrible too. These were books I had no choice but to finish for school, but I'm not a fan.
Donna