Thursday, March 26, 2009

Communication 21st Century Style

Blog Prompt: “Communication: The art and technique of using words effectively to impart information or ideas.” That is what we are accomplishing here. A form of communication by using words effectively to impart information. But with the advent of the computer and the shortcuts used on the computer to convey ideas and emotions it appears they are becoming more prevalent in our day to day lives, as well. How has communication changed since the computer became a household appliance?

I find that I am using emoticons in my day to day life, on the computer, when writing letters, or interoffice communications. I do have to stop and take stock when I get an interoffice email that is in all caps. I have to realize that some in the office do not have computers at home (shock); and really are computer illiterate. And even those who are do not always know what emoticons are. (How bizarre is that?)

But communication really has grown by leaps and bounds in the last 50 years. Remember “2001.” And what they expected of communication. Ha, if we really did have it that cheap. It seems the better it gets the more expensive the price tag. Maybe I should go back to writing letters… but the post office has been raising their rates exponentially as well.

And what does it say when my blog prompt is longer than the answer, LOL.

Sweetness (c)Béa Scrap & Design; Template 3 by Scrap's Angels; fonts: Arial, SF Solar Sailer

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I'm on something called Plurk (plurk.com) and it is like Twitter but better. I find I use emoticons all of the time and even look for different ones than the norm.

Harvey said...

I don't know what I'd do without emoticons. Even with business emails, I often throw in a :-) or :-( when appropriate.