Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Blog Prompt: Achievements

Achievement connotes accomplishment of something noteworthy, after much effort and often in spite of obstacles and discouragements. What do you feel is your greatest achievement?


Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is giving birth and raising three beautiful children. And that, my friend, is the greatest achievement I could ever conceive of.

There have been others though. Three years with the rape crisis council. Working with elementary and middle schools on giving children information on the harm of smoking. Teaching Sunday school. Babysitting.

Babysitting, you say? I use to watch a young lad and girl of 10 and 6 when we lived on Guam. They were the most precious children I have ever had the privilege to spend time with. The little girl was mentally deficient and had to be cared for as if she was only 6 or 7 months old. The boy, though, was a true genius. There was no middle ground for these kids. So, yes, babysitting falls into the category of achievements.

Sketch from Pencil Lines; Poppy (c)Tracy Collins; Fonts: Bleeding Cowboys, Franklin Gothic Book

4 comments:

Tammy said...

I remember those baby sitting days many years ago. You sound like you had some special children to watch.

Yin said...

It's wonderful reading what you consider your achievements, amongst many more, I'm sure. All these you mentioned involved touching other lives. :) Gave me some thought as to what I would count as mine, or want to count as mine. The layout and photo of your children is totally darling!

loonyhiker said...

I bet you are an awesome babysitter! I can tell from the things you do with your grandchildren that you are a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

Blogkids :-)