Wednesday, April 01, 2009

April Fools Prank

Blog prompt: Happy April Fool’s Day – what is the funniest prank someone has played on you or you have played on someone else?

The longest lasting prank was one that I pulled on my father. As you read further hopefully would will think I should be given credit for having one of the longest lasting.

It started sometime around 1977-78. I found a birthday card that I felt was perfect for my dad, but there was no way I was going to be able to give it to him. I can't remember now if it was one that made fun of his age or his sex appeal and probably doesn't matter at this point since both were poked fun at for the next 20+ years.

I actually mailed it from his hometown that year. When he got his birthday card from his anonymous admirer, he just about hit the roof. Since I used a typewriter for the address, he made everyone he knew that had a typewriter, type out his address. Now I was using one of those IBM's with the daisy wheels so they could be replaced easily. Which was what I did when I typed it out for him. Not that he really thought I would be the one to think of such a dastardly thing anyway. In fact, his neighbor suggested it was me. He just shook his head "no."

After that I would mail it from different cities within the United States. This was before 9/11 and sending an opened card to a postmaster, asking them to send it on was a whole lot easier. My family and I would scour zip code books for cities with interesting names or implications to mail them from or even from places where he had been stationed while he was in the Air Force. And I would like you to know that every postmaster up to 9/11 seemed to really like participating in the prank and on several occasions I got notes back that the "mission was accomplished."

After a couple of years my dad started anticipating them and if they were late, lord help us all. He would get just as mad about that. It was daring and it was fun throughout the years. Though I have to admit I was rather irked when I found out he thought it was my cousin sending them.

Miracles (c)Conny B; Sketch by Andrea Cox; Fonts: Burst My Bubble, Oh {Photo}Shoot!

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

What a great joke! Do you still do it? Did he ever find out who was doing this? Thanks for sharing!

vw bug said...

Did you ever tell dad before he died? I love the scrapbook page!