Thursday, April 23, 2009

You're a poet & didn't know it

Blog prompt: This month is National Poetry Month. What is your favorite poem? How does it make you feel?

I don't know that I can say I have one favorite poem. But I have a favorite type. I love ballads, especially those having to do with the sea. I realize most are not very happy poems, but there is just something that touches the soul. Maybe it has something to do with the way they are written.

Ballad Writing Tips

often have verses of four lines
usually have a rhyming pattern: either abac or aabb or acbc (usually the easiest to rhyme)
repetition often found in ballads
entire stanzas can be repeated like a song's chorus
lines can be repeated but each time a certain word is changed
a question and answer format can be built into a ballad: one stanza asks a questions and the next stanza answers the question
Ballads contain a lot of dialogue.
Action is often described in the first person
Two characters in the ballad can speak to each other on alternating lines
Sequences of "threes" often occur: three kisses, three tasks, three events, for example
~Studyguide

It could also have to do with the fact that since contains a dialogue, it seems to be more personal.

Last of Winter (c)Christy Skaggs; Font: Californian FB

2 comments:

karen (karooch from scraps of mind) said...

I really like haikus Tink. I think it might be my short attention span or something. But I love how you can create a scene or a mood in just seventeen syllables.
I reckon haiku is the original Twitter.

loonyhiker said...

I like ballads too because they tell a story. My latest favorite balladeer is Danny O'Flaherty who is a Celtic balladeer.