Friday, April 17, 2009

Ancesterally speaking

Blog prompt: Today is Ellis Island Family History Day. Tell about your ancestors and where did they start out from before it led to where you are today.

My sister, the bug, has done a remarkable amount of research on this subject. We do know that our maternal grandfather and his family immigrated from Germany. Our father's maternal side is from North Carolina and moved to Georgia, Florida and Mississippi. We believe, but have not been able to ascertain their whereabouts before then, yet! She has managed to get documentation far enough back though where we can join the DAR. That is quite an accomplishment.

I do have to say that a lot of this research is due to the hard work of Sticks. She has looked up and photocopied most of what was required. Thanks Sticks :)

My father's paternal grandmother came over from Sweden and married my the man my dad was named after. We have pictures of Lily, but I only know of one picture of her husband. Would be cool to find them.

Remember You by Doreen Stolz; Because You Loved Me alpha (c) Christy Skaggs; Font: Arial

2 comments:

Linda Walton aka bobbysgirlforever said...

HAPPY FRIDAY TINK!!!

Crazy week for me as we prepare to be away next week! I wish I had a FAST speed but seems I am destined to be SLOW for the time being!

Ellis Island Day? I am still having my circle completed on my father's side, but do know that my grandparent's arrived at Ellis Island from England at the turn of the century. We've been unable to locate my grandfather's passage, but according to the 1930 Census, he is documented as having arrived in 1901. My grandmother and their only living child, at the time, arrived at Ellis Island in March of 1903.

My grandfather was a watchmaker in England and opened his own shop in the Brox in New York.

My grandfather was born in Warsaw, Poland. My grandmother was born in England. I have just recently (the past two months) spoken on the phone with a first cousin who is 71 (we share a very similar story of upbringing) and a first cousin, once-removed who is 51.

Well, I could go on and on. My baby sister has done an AMAZING amount of research on our mother's side. I've yet to get all of it and we have all just recently joined GENI, where we can all post the information we have and plug it into our own trees!

Have a GORGEOUS weekend sweetie! Thank you SO much for ALL of your AWESOME blog prompts. Just wish I could reply to them all! *wink*

BIG HUGS,
Linda :)

loonyhiker said...

You are so lucky to have learned so much about your heritage. I'm glad your sister has taken the time to find out more about it and share it with y'all.