Monday, June 30, 2008

A Week of Devastating Tribulations

I did manage to get the prompts up at Digital Scrapbook Place but haven't managed to do them myself.

It has been a week of devastating information; some of which ended up good; one which did not.

Several weeks ago, my doctor thought I had developed a rare form of skin cancer under my toenail. I had to have half the nail taken off and biopsied. I was not to concerned until the 10 days had passed and I called her assistant to verify that it wasn't. The lab had called the day before and said they needed to know where on my toe the sample came from. Come on people, either it is cancerous or it is not. So I had another day of waiting, this time in abject terror. But it came out well for me. It was a bruise.

Then last Wednesday, my daughter's best friend had to have surgery for a cancerous tumor on her thyroid. Their prognosis after the surgery.... They didn't think she would have to undergo radiation therapy. Jumping up and down for joy. Another good piece of news.

But that night or actually the next morning around 4/4:30ish, Pan received a call from his office. His boss had been in a fatal motorcycle accident and had died. We were all in shock. I guess we still are. He was a wonderful man who would scimp to save a penny; but with a heart as big as Texas when you needed anything, including money. His laugh was infectious and when he did laugh his face would turn a bright beet red. He is sorely missed by all who had the opportunity to know him.

He was on his way home from a late night at the office when as far as anyone can tell, a truck made a u-turn in front of him. He went sailing over the shield and hit the left rear panel of the truck. It is being investigated as a vehicular homicide although it is not clear yet if it was.

While I would be the first to advocate the wearing of helmets while riding a motorcycle, he would not. And to be honest, I really don't think in this occasion it would have been of any use. But please be safe, wear a helmet if you are going to be riding a motorcyle. Not everyone is as considerate of them as I always try to be.

And while we mourn his death, we also have to wonder what the future is going to bring for us and the other 200+ employees he has. It was his desire that the company continue and this past week his wife and employees have done all to make sure that it went on business as usual. His wife wants to honor his request and as long as others involved agree, 200+ people will continue to be employed.

But if I don't post much in the next week or so, we are going to be pretty busy around here.

Doodle-iscious ©A Work in Progress; Doodle on Background ©acm designs; sketch by Sara Noendeng; Fonts: Maria Lucia; Summertime

7 comments:

ArtcTrish said...

Awww, Tink, I'm sorry for your loss. Stay strong for your hubbie.

loonyhiker said...

I'm so sorry about Pan's boss. I hate to hear when someone's life is cut short like this. It is so sad. I will keep you and Pan as well the boss's family in my thoughts and prayers.

I tagged you for the Sharing the Love Award. You can see the rules in my post: http://loonyhiker.blogspot.com/2008/06/sharing-love-award.html

Yin said...

So sorry to hear about Pan's boss, so sad. Hang in there, sending prayers your way.

Mrs. Who said...

Sounds like the boss's family is quite strong...bless them with the strength they still need to continue.

Glad your news turned out good, though!

Linda Walton aka bobbysgirlforever said...

Dearest Tink,

I thought I could start this post without struggling to see through tears as well as aging eyes, however, knowing you as I do and going through your past posts in catching up with you, I cannot help but feel the deep loss that has affected you, Pan, your family and the family of Pan's boss.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all and again, I am SO thrilled at your good news sweetie. Also for that of your daughter's friend.

Although I do not dwell on it, it just seems like cancer has invaded our lives and affects SO many of our loved ones. I am so glad you are okay dearest one.

I know that you are busy and are dealing with the loss of Pan's boss, but when you get out and about, please stop by my blog to receive a special award that I have waiting for you. It is a LOVELY one to add to your already growing collection!

Take care darlin'. I shall be thinking of you often and will catch up with you when my life slows down a wee bit. Oldest daughter and her new beau arrive Wednesday for three days and I am struggling to make sense of my mess over here! TOO much time on the computer!

Love and hugs,
Linda :)

K2 Designs said...

Tink, I found your blog thru Linda-Bon Scrapatit..we're co workers at 3Scrapateers...I was SO saddened to hear of your loss as it hits especially close to home for me, as Linda can attest.We were in a hit and run motorcycle accident back in Nov02, I was left a paraplegic but the only thing that did save my life was my helmet.It makes no sense to me why people get on them without wearing one. You will never know if one might have saved his life but if someone reads this who had not worn one before but now does because of it then we have accomplished something. PLEASE wear your helmets if you ride! We make our kids wear them when they ride bikes so why not you also?
Ok I'm off the soapbox now.

I'm so happy to hear all the cancer scares are over with. It's such a scary disease for anyone dealing with it. Have been thru it with my dad and grandfather. Continued good health for everyone!

Well now that I too am teary eyed, I'll go back and read more of your blog..thanks Linda for the link here. Take care Tink and our continued thoughts and prayers to you, Pan and his boss's family at this sad time.
Hugs, Karen

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. You all are in my prayers.