Saturday, December 01, 2007

This Week in Space #7

Astronomy Picture of the Day
Discover the cosmos! Each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured, along with a brief explanation written by a professional astronomer.
November 25: Galaxies in Pegasus (c) Dietmar Hager
November 26: An Iridescent Cloud Over Colorado (c) August Allen
November 27: Moon Over Pigeon Point Lighthouse (c) Tyler Westcott
November 28: Space Station Over the Ionian Sea, credit: STS-118 Shuttle Crew, NASA
November 29: Comet Holmes from the Hubble Space Telescope, credit: A. Dyer, NASA, ESA, H. Weaver (JHU APL)
November 30: Stardust in Perseus (c) Jeff Lunglhofer
December 1: M74: The Perfect Spiral, credit: NASA, ESA, and the Hubble Heritage (STScI / AURA)- ESA / Hubble Collaboration; Acknowledgment: R. Chandar (Univ. Toledo) and J. Miller (Univ. Michigan)

Cosmic Log by Alan Boyle
November 30: Strange Space Bedfellows
November 29: Holiday greetings from Space
November 27: Hubbles for our home planet
November 26: Space vs. Education?
November 26: Your Daily Dose of Science on the Web

NASA
Launch Schedule
Latest News: Atlantis 'Go' for Dec. 6 Launch
November 28, 2007: Instrument to Unveil New Worlds by Blocking Out Starlight, Joshua Rodriguez/PlanetQuest
November 28, 2007: NASA Scientist Confirms Light Show on Venus
November 28, 2007: Youthful Star Sprouts Planets Early, Written by Linda Vu
November 29, 2007: Embryonic Star Captured With Jets Flaring

NASA Image of the Day
November 25: Cape Verde, Mars; Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell
November 26: Salt Ponds, Botswana; Image Credit: NASA
November 27: Spirit's Winter Work Site; Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Univ. of Arizona
November 28: Mariner 2; Image Credit: NASA/JPL
November 29: Dancing with the Stars; Image Credit: NASA, ESA, and the Hubble Heritage Team (STScI/AURA)

Sky & Telescope
Earth at Night: Not a Pretty Sight by Kelly Beatty
How Far is the Orion Nebula? by Roger Sinnott
A Revival of Comet Holmes by Alan MacRobert
Saturn in the Morning by Tony Flanders
December's Audio Guide to the Heavens by the Editors of Sky & Telescope
This Week's Sky at a Glance by Alan M. MacRobert
A Guide to Eyepieces by Adrian R. Ashford
Make a Star Wheel by the editors of Sky & Telescope
Observing the Sun by Projection by Jeffery Sandel
Photographing Iridium Flares by Dennis di Cicco
Nova Hunters by Stephen James O'Meara
Your Audio Sky Tour: December 2007

Space.com
Spot the Great Andromeda Galaxy by Joe Rao
Planet Formation is Child's Play by Dave Mosher
Space Flight: Delta 2
Scientists Learn How to Deal with Rogue Asteroid Threats by Dave Mosher
Daily Space Trivia
Rate It: Strangest Thing in Space - Antimatter
Rate It: Most Amazing Galactic Image - Jupiter's Great Red Spot
Amazing Images: User Submitted Earth & Space Imagery

Template 36 by Trish H. Designs; Artistic Fall kit (c)e-scrapeandscrape; Font: Walt Disney Script

2 comments:

Linda Walton aka bobbysgirlforever said...

Hi Tink!!! Here I am, once again, trying to catch up!

You are quite an AMAZING woman you know! Just look at ALL of the WONDERFUL goodies you present EACH and EVERY day here on your blog!!!

I shall have to pop over each day and check out some of the links that you have posted on Space. We have a nice telescope on our deck and we enjoy, from time-to-time, viewing the constellations, the moon and the occasional meteor showers. Tis a WONDERFUL thing to be in the country with NO street lights and to find the night sky literally CLUTTERED with stars. I don't think that I had ever seen a "falling star" before moving here almost 13 years ago!

LOVE your share about "boy cheese"!!! Kids say the darndest things, don't they? LOL! TOO cute!

I am with you on being MOST thankful for my eyesight. I mean, think of it Tink, I wouldn't be able to sit here and enjoy reading your blog without my sight now would I???

I happen to be extremely visual with auditory running a VERY close second. I would find it VERY difficult as well to be without either, although if I had to choose between the two, I would vote to keep my eyesight and hone up on my sign language!

It is ALWAYS a pleasure to find your comments on my blog, especially when my day has been hectic and I have not time to go out visiting! For this, I thank YOU from the DEPTHS OF MY BEING!!! LOL! It is SO funny that you asked about the origin of "from the bottom of my heart" as I've just recently started using the phrase I posted above because I thought the latter to be a bit strange when really thinking about it!

I'm off to do a search! I remember reading about the origin of "mind your p's and q's" several years ago! Too funny is that one!

Have a SPECTACULAR Sunday darlin' and I need not tell you to SCRAP HAPPY - your display of LOVELY layouts each day states it all TOO well!

Oh ... I am SO happy or you and Pan! He is to be commended for his steadfast LOVE and DEDICATION to you and your children. That just blesses my heart to hear!

You know, I believe there REALLY is something to be said for LOVE being better the second time around!

Hugs,
Linda

loonyhiker said...

I had to tell you that I was thinking about you the other night. My hubby and I was standing on the deck of our cruise ship at night in our formalwear and looking at the stars which were totally awesome! My poor hubby expected me to say something really romantic when I exclaimed, " Wow, Tink would really love this!" He looked at me like I was crazy and then had to explain! LOL