Friday, August 31, 2007

Help Me From My Mother and Other Tribulations

Fri 8/31 blog prompt: Now that school has started back here, the big issue is the dress code. Do you agree with having a dress code and if so, who should determine what it should be? Should it be the principal, the school board, the students, the parents, the state dept. of ed or someone else?
in
I don't know that I would go as far as to say there should be a "dress code," but a dress standard needs to be put in place on the national level. No offense, but when I see little kids being dressed like movie stars the first thing that goes through my mind is that parents are trying to pimp them out. This is especially true of elementary school girls. When I pick the Princess up, I seem them in platform shoes, super mini skirts and dress, and god forbid, make up on. It's like putting a sign on them that reads:

"Are you a molestor? I'm an easy pick-up."

Granted the Princess has some glitzy clothes that she wears. Like when she is going out to dinner or I'm trying to get photos, but not for school. Bombshell and I had already had a talk about that when she was in kindergarten.

So a dress standard needs to be put in place. And like Loony, I really hate seeing boys with their ΡΎ hanging out. But I think clean cut slacks or jeans and a loose polo-type shirt is a good start for a standard. Tennis shoes are a good requirement too. Okay, I've had my say and now off to do something with my day.

BeWhoYourAre
Template by Bibime; Daddy's Got the Blues kit, (c) Tracy Blankenship; Swirls from Printworks; Word art, (c) Anna Aspnes; Hand Stamp, (c) Gaucho Girl; Clip, (c) Andrea Sampson

3 comments:

Tammy said...

You are right about the girls today. I just don't understand them and what they have to prove.

loonyhiker said...

Some of the girls outfits give the impression that they have no self respect! My mother always told me that if I didn't show myself some respect, no one else would feel like they should either. I truly believe that!

Lemon Stand said...

Ditto what they said. We have four daughters and we have a pretty tame dress code for them that we enforce. We have tried to teach our daughters to have respect for themselves.

It purely burns me up that schools allow students to wear clothes that reveal more skin than it covers. I am by no means a prude but cripes!

Sorry. Our daughters are very good in their clothing choices but this hits a sore spot!

Hope you have a great weekend!